Discuss any other topics here
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Thanks. I never expected so much information
Lithuanians for Georgia!
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Chickens are complicated critters!! :lol:
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

steven8 wrote:Chickens are complicated critters!! :lol:
I read that and knew I HAD to read page 3 :shock:
GD1

Post by GD1 »

I used to use cut brushes all the time, and i got some really cool natural shapes, but then I saw the framerate drop as well. 40fps without the cuts, 5fps with the cuts.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I read that and knew I HAD to read page 3 :shock:
An don't forget that, "Peng-ooins, is pracitically chickens!!" :lol:
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Question about MilkShape texturing:
When I make my object and make some materials to texture it I can put color on it, but when I put a picture on in it doesn't show up :x
Lithuanians for Georgia!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Try playing around with the 'Texture Coordinate Editor'. Milkshape doesnt know automatically how to set the texture on the faces so you have to set the 'texture coordinates' manually. Just press CTRL+A to select all faces and go to 'Window -> Texture Coordinate Editor'. Test different buttons and find out how it works... I'm too lazy to write a guide. :D

If you still can't figure this out, just let us know.
Pain is only psychological.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

How that texture coordinate editor works? I just can't figure out...
Lithuanians for Georgia!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Ok, this is hard to explain, and I don't have the ability to do so. The best way to learn this thing is by doing it.

There's some useful info in the Milkshape documents: Go to "Help->Content...". Then go to "Essential Windows and Panels -> The Texture Coordinate Window" or "Examples -> Applying a Texture".

I really hope those help. If not... well, then we'll have to wait for someone more skilled to explain this thing. :D
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Thanks, I got it now, all I had to do is to press textured in pop up menu :lol:
Lithuanians for Georgia!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

AHHH, of course. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
silly me...
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Atlast I started my virtual school project, but I'd like to know if it's possible to make different textures on different sides of material(like cube or something)?
Lithuanians for Georgia!
psYco

Post by psYco »

well the only way to do that in milkshape is to make each face a different group then give it its own texture OR you can make a UV map in LithUnwrap whitch is much better for multiple sided textureing! Although milkshpae is quikker and easier and more than enough for geometry and buildings!
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

This old topic again...
Where do I use hint brushes?
Lithuanians for Georgia!
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

That is a very complicated case. Hint brushes are there to produce additional portals.

To understand hint brushes you must first understand how BSP works. Here is the top view of one of my current levels (not finished) :

The numbers represent different 'areas' (the corridor counts as one). Inbetween all areas are portals (which are normally walls) that seperate the areas from each other. And now there are some rules:

-the postion of the camera determines the current area
-the current area is rendered
-all areas that the current area could POSSIBLY see are also rendered (even if they are not really visible!)

now what does that say us? Here is an example:
I am in area number 3. number three can see 2, 4, 5 and 6, because the walls seperating 3, 5 and 6 are not as high as the whole room. (i hope you understand this...ok i will add a picture :wink: )

But why? for a human it is easy to see that when i am standing at the bottom of the room (which normally is the case) i cannot see those three areas.

But the problem is that the BSP tree does NOT know WHERE you are in a specific area, it just knows THAT you are in this area (btw this is why BSP trees are so fast - they save a lot of computing) You could be in the middle you could be on the highest place of the area you could be in the darkest corner, THE BSP-TREE DOES NOT KNOW THIS! Because of that, it renders every possible solution to what you could be seeing. (and this is the problem with outdoors, the BSP tree says that you could basically be seeing anything on the whole map, meaning everything that is not cut by the farclip plane is rendered!)

So whow do we solve this? We need a new portal! TADAA!! *enter: Hint Brush*

But not only 1 in fact we need TWO hint brushes, because the compiler must first know where the are starts and then it must know where it ends. Otherwise we cannot be sure if the compiler creates the areas exactly how we want it.

(the green lines represents the hint brushes, you will see later why i gave the new area the number 8)

the new area number 8 can see areas number 3,4,5 and 6, and becasue we now have an area inbeetween, area number 3 cannot see 4, 5 and 6 anymore. That means we have optimized this part of the level as when we are now in area 3 only 2, 3 and 8 are rendered and not the whole room as before.

I also added another hint brush to prevent, if there was some kind of bug and i could somehow see from 3 to 1, that the whole room would be rendered.

This way only the northern part of the room is rendered when this bug would appear. Also when i am in that small part (the one that goes north a bit) of the corridor, i assume that area number 7 is not renderd, but i am not very sure there...

Ok if you understood that all it should help you.

One thing to remark is that they are really difficult to use and that in most cases you do something wrong and then they don't work. (i mean i do something wrong in most cases, and then i don't know why it didn't work, wasn't meant as an offense)
Last edited by Jay on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----