Newbie team

Please post all job ads here ONLY
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Okay, I have the character selection screen posted in my RF Help Gallery:

http://www.freewebs.com/stevenrf/rfhelpgallery.htm

That is all I have had time for today. I'll be laying down to sleep before work here in a few minutes.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
steven8

Post by steven8 »

LtForce, have you contacted microman about some level design/creation?
Last edited by steven8 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PerfectCircle

Post by PerfectCircle »

Hey guys. Ive been doing level design and 3d modeling for about 1-2 years now and im kind of sick of not being able to put it into a game. As soon as i saw this post, i became extremely interested. And of course, i would love to be envolved.
My skills-
3d modeler(cars, houses, trees, characters etc..)
3d level designer(landscape, buildings, etc.)

My tools-
3ds max 8
Photoshop CS2
UnrealEditor
Deled Editor

I can also do music and sounds even though that is not my main points of design.

Some of my work:

Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Wow, nice models! I wish I could model that well. :D
Pain is only psychological.
PerfectCircle

Post by PerfectCircle »

Well let me just say, it isnt easya t all. Like i said, ive been modeling for a couple of years so i have alot of practice. That car model took me a good 10 hours of work just to design it. Besides, 3ds max is a very powerful program and it does most of the modeling for me.
Some day i hope to be able to create models like these:
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Hi PerfectCircle. Welcome to Reality Factory!! Your models are beautiful!

Have you installed RF and it's tools? RF is a wonderful set of tools designed to help people get their ideas from in their head to on their computer, and you obviously have some good ideas.
PerfectCircle

Post by PerfectCircle »

Thank you very much. Yes, i have downloaded it, but i havent tried to figure out how to use it yet. Do you know if it will accept models and maps exported from 3ds max?
scott

Post by scott »

hay PerfectCircle nice work, lol, i have seen the city before on turbo squid, and now i have found the owner , i must say nice work, i have also been modeling for about a year, but to make a good model isnt too hard, but to make a good model with the lowest polly count possible can be extreamly difficult, this is the skills you need to make a game, everything in a game is almost related to pollys, too many then it will freez and become jerky, if to few then it "can" look rubish, you need a zone near the few polly mark but yet keep it as good as high polly count.

i am macking a sword from the film advent children, to make the things isnt had because i can go completely mental on polly count as its not to be used with a game, just to look good.
*GD*
PerfectCircle

Post by PerfectCircle »

Yea, i post all my projects on turbo squid. I probably should stop since alot of people are using them in their own games without permission. Nice to see a famliar face of turbo squid. In fact, thats how i got started, i used the gmax software that was available at their site and started posting my own projects although they werent to good at start.
scott

Post by scott »

[quote="scott"]hay PerfectCircle nice work, lol, i have seen the city before on turbo squid, and now i have found the owner , i must say nice work, i have also been modeling for about a year, but to make a good model isnt too hard, but to make a good model with the lowest polly count possible can be extreamly difficult, this is the skills you need to make a game, everything in a game is almost related to pollys, too many then it will freez and become jerky, if to few then it "can" look rubish, you need a zone near the few polly mark but yet keep it as good as high polly count.

i am macking a sword from the film advent children, to make this isnt hard because i can go completely mental on polly count as its not to be used with a game, just to look good
*GD*
steven8

Post by steven8 »

No, it will not accept files directly exported from 3DSMAX 8. There were exporter made for older version of MAX. Like 4 or 5 I believe. What are the filetype options for 8? Or Deled? You will definitely need Milkshape as a go-between. Milkshape can import 3DS files, OBJ Files, etc. then you would convert them the Genesis3D BDY files for the mesh and Genesis3D MOT files for the motions, once recorded in Milkshape.

Then you would use the tools included with RF to convert those to act (actor) files to be used in RF. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. One thing I can tell you, is that you will need to think 'low poly' when you make your models for RF.
PerfectCircle

Post by PerfectCircle »

Yea i sorta get it. Ill have to try it out. Why do you say low poly? How many will it accept?
steven8

Post by steven8 »

QOD is working on it, but RF does not yet utilize hardware TnL. We're processing through the cpu, not the gpu. Once he gets that flying, we can boost the polys, but in the meantime, we just need to limit them, and see how your individual performance is.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I would say lowpoly means something like 700-900 polys per character when talking about Reality Factory. However, it depends on the type of the game: less polygons if you want to have lots of enemys on the screen at the same time, and vice versa.

This is only my opinion, though. In my current project I'm trying to get the framerate as high as possible and I'm using models with polycount around 500.

I suggest you to experiment with RF and see how many polys it can handle.
Pain is only psychological.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I'd say Juutis' numbers sound pretty good. I had skeletons which were around 1500 polys and they were actuall okay one or two at a time, but when 4 were coming at me, things slowed down quite a bit.