LowMan Project :: re-designing the scripted player...

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Wow, nice job!! He behaves very naturally!
wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker »

Well done can't wait to play with it when it's out.

FEDERICO RULES!
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

Again very very nice,

Federico, you are by far the innovator in terms of what RF can really do with a bit'uv know how!

this is really are master peice.

keep up the good work.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

frederico, those videos look great!! I think the player looks very natural.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

okay, the work is quite done. The script is composed by several section. In every section a character state meets a weapon (for example: without a weapon standing, without a weapon crouching, with a gun standing....).
The possible combinations of states are three:

1)Walking
2)Chrouching
3)Running

Every order contains the commands to have these actions:

1) Stand
2) Walk in 8 directions (each with an animation)
3) Fire Attack
4) Melee
5) Reload
6) Jump

Actually jumping is separated from this and it's a unified process that works also for "Falling".

All the pawn states use the aim/stafe system I show you in the previous video. I added a system to have another standing animations when the pawn doesn't move for some seconds. In this way the pawn, while is aiming with a gun for over 3 seconds, lowers his arms.

Using the Hl2 animations I have these states: Standing/crouching without weapons, standing/crouching with a gun. Tonight I will add running.
Next I could add a SMG or a shotgun and perhaps a baton. It depends by gameplay. For a western or a cop game the gun alone is enough, for a stealth the SMG is needed (plus a first person snipe rifle), for a Thieft style game the baton is needed.
Now I have 10 animation for every state plus the transitions. RF hasn't an animation mixer such as Hl2 so the long part of the work is to paste togheter the body postures over the 8 walk loop and then repeat the process for every weapon.

Next I will add the other special action to the pawn (such as "open the door", "push a button", "pick up an item", "throw it", "hack it"), but I have a design direction in my mind. The pawn_player has to perform these action in the state "standing without weapons" so automatically it has to undraw his weapon (if he own one), stand-up (if he's crouched), walk to the correct spot (if needed). In my hal2 demo I have the door (model+animations) So I think I could easily syncronize the two.

The new thing is this now the pawn performs one ation at time and always blend the animation to the next action. So if you press the Forward key and stop immediatly the pawn ends the first complete step motion before stop at all.
I think that this design could work also for the enemy AI. My goal is to have a smooth enemy. I would like to attach the camera to an enemy and see it moving, thinking that it was ahuman controlled.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

:shock: WoW, those videos are unbeliavable! :shock:
Great job!!

Did I just see him aim up and down with the camera?
That's amazing, how did you do it?

BTW, nice work on the ragdolls too. :D
Pain is only psychological.
wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker »

It looks pretty good. I just hope that weapon switching is implemented as well, along with being able to take over vehicles. I would also like to be able to cycle through weapons in the same slot (those in the inventory) by repeatedly pressing the key for that slot.

Yes, that would be swell.

I don't know, I'll ask more about it once it's out, just wanted to add some helpful suggestions. Like about attaching other pawns to it by equipping inventory items on the character.
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil