normal map question

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
wxb1
RF Dev Team

Post by wxb1 »

The actors will respond to the light but one of the things you must do is make sure the light can reach the actor... I'll look at the code but genesis will not use the light in a calculation for the actor if it can't reach the actor... this is not my code but genesis... I simply use this code to figure out the closest lights... I found some code that explains how to have more lights effect the actor... it looks like its simply adding the calculation for amount of lights you want to affect the actor... when I get a chance I'll look into implementing normal mapping with a user selectable amount of lights...
wxb1
RF Dev Team

Post by wxb1 »

Ransom wrote:Also, using a dynamic light which has a fluctuating radius (aza, for example), a normal mapped actor will not adapt to the changes in lighting, it simply flashes abruptly between lit, or not. An actor which is NOT normal mapped WILL gradually change with the dynamic light.
Unfortunately, for now, you will lose this "gradual" change because dot3 and the color value for a lit actor use the same "variable"(in directx) to determine if the actor should be lit... There are ways around this but they will take some coding to fix... So for now dot3 comes at a price...
NolanK

Post by NolanK »

I think i can pay that price :D:D
All your base are belong to us.
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

'Scuse me BRAINIAC, I was saying RF was old and ugly, apparently you can't read, or type, but if someone wants to retype your link, they'll find...SCREENSHOTS! Let's all dump RF for a screenshot generator.

Funny they don't mention that Gekkeiju online, an actual game made with Jet 3d, not invented here? Can't quite seem to get online there, though, server down or something.
Veleran

Post by Veleran »

Unfortunately, for now, you will lose this "gradual" change because dot3 and the color value for a lit actor use the same "variable"(in directx) to determine if the actor should be lit...
The flashing wont be very noticable because one light will cover any change from the others.

I propose to take all lights that reach the actor into account-
Stencilshadows-for instance- have problems with selectable number of lights-shadows dissaperar and then re-appear.
With all lights active,perhaps lower res normal maps and LOD for the actors could help the framerate.