Juutis' game thread!!! (Nirhis)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

Juutis wrote:
Did u know destron wrote dis wrote:Crosshair: The crosshair (including the health and armor stats), IMO, is WAY too big. I think you should lose the health and armor thing, or at least scale it down a bit.
Also, I think that maybe you should script the crosshair to scale down and your aim to be more accurate when you're crouching. That's something I really enjoy when playing FPSs.
I'm afraid that isn't quite possible with RF. The scripting commands don't allow to scale the pictures that are drawn on the screen so...
ah but u can make the crosshair 4 different sprites then check if crouched then move the sprites closer or farther together
Herp derp.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

darksmaster923 wrote:ah but u can make the crosshair 4 different sprites then check if crouched then move the sprites closer or farther together
That applies only to some crosshairs. What if the crosshair is round, like in the tommy gun? :wink:

I could make several images with different sizes for every crosshair and then pick the one with the right size. But each 19 weapons will have their own crosshairs and giving, say, 5 images per crosshair would be A LOT of images. 190, to be precise.
Pain is only psychological.
Destron

Post by Destron »

hmmm, Juutis.

More stuff about your game. :)

1. when you jump (up or directional), you can move around will-nilly while you're in the air (e.g., you can jump forwards and press S and land behind where you started). Needs to be fixed IMO.
2. I'm thinking that maybe individual crosshairs for different weapons isn't such a good idea; when I'm dual-wielding with different weapons, such as the pistol and the sawed-off shotgun, the crosshair takes the design that the right hand normally used. It gets kind of confusing for me.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Now that I've thought about it, yes, a crosshair that scales up and down is the way to go. With a fixed crosshair the size of the crosshair on the screen depends on the resolution used, and with a bigger resolution the crosshair is smaller and so it may be easier to aim.

So I'm gonna make a crosshair that scales with the resolution so that it shows where the bullets will approximately spread.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

After playing around a little I managed to get the crosshair to scale so that it shows where the bullets will spread. It also works with any resolution.

I've also built a new inventory, with (in my opinion) better looks and a tab for each weapon type. With the tabbing there's now more space in the inventory screen so I added a little box for a short description. Here's a screenshot: http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/newinventory.jpg

**EDIT**
All the weapons have the same image right now. I will change them soon.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Man that looks great, Juutis!! I saw you demo listed in the downloads. I'll have to give a try here soon!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
Destron

Post by Destron »

Hey, kudos on the new inventory screen, juutis! looks great!

I was kinda getting tired of that faux-marble thing... :lol:
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I had this sudden need to model a pistol, a Beretta, to be precise. Well, I modeled it and it would feel like waste of a model if I didn't use it. So I'm gonna add one more secondary weapon.

Added to the first post:
The Barreda Pistol
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/beretta.jpg (425 polys)
A weak handgun equipped with a suppressor. Has decent accuracy and low recoil, but low damage as well. You'll get this weapon pretty early and it's gonna be very useful in certain stealth/puzzle missions.
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

wow. The texture and its mapping are really good. Nice model aswell(the form). Excellent work! :D
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
Destron

Post by Destron »

Juutis wrote:I had this sudden need to model a pistol, a Beretta, to be precise. Well, I modeled it and it would feel like waste of a model if I didn't use it. So I'm gonna add one more secondary weapon.

Added to the first post:
The Barreda Pistol
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/beretta.jpg (425 polys)
A weak handgun equipped with a suppressor. Has decent accuracy and low recoil, but low damage as well. You'll get this weapon pretty early and it's gonna be very useful in certain stealth/puzzle missions.
Great model, but IMO the texture is too dark. I would suggest making it a bit more grey and less black.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Thanks guys. I'll see how it looks in RF and then decide if the texture needs to be lighter. I've been working a bit on the story, to make it more logical, and playing around with different ideas. I'm starting to have a pretty clear picture of what this game is going to be.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Wow. :shock: I got to play for real today, and all I can say is. . .WOW! I love it!! The inventory system is fantastic!! My son Steve just got really mad at me because I made him stop playing so I could come and post this. The dual weapons are great! Excellent, excellent, excellent!!!!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! :)
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Well, all I can say is. . .don't quit! You work is great!! :D
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

I'm downloading it now, I can't wait to see what it'll be.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...