AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

in the meantime, heres an unfinished document describing some things about rf2:

http://www.freewebs.com/andycr/renderedconcept.pdf
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

irrlicht can import zip-files.

wouldn't it be best if the package format would be zip with another extension - though we might think about encrypting - to have the game files zipped and not using much space on the disk?

Also, is it allowed to write classes in Irrlicht-Style, like ISkyDomeSceneNode or something similar (of course, a such class would not be logical because a SkyDome is is not just one single node, but consists of more than one)?
Last edited by Jay on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I would prefer not to use zip because it is such a common format that it would be far too easy to gain illigitimate access to an encrypted zip archive. the format i do use will if plans even out be semi-integrated into irrlicht so that it can be handled just like a zip file is.

no, classes will not use the irrlicht naming convention. strict adherance to the standards is part of what will make rf080(rf2) much easier to understand and extend.

(odd, language filter filtered out something that wasnt anything close to a bad word... glad to see ones in now though)
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

i will begin delegating work to others later. right now im a tiny bit stuck, but i should be unstuck soon. call it travelling/life induced coder's block (how amusing, i sometimes use code::blocks and have coders block). as soon as i can get a few rf2 things sorted, i can begin deciding what to do about the delegation. i will most likely be assigning the inieditor first off, since thats just about the simplest and least-changed part of the rf2 toolset.
jonas

Post by jonas »

I started on the inieditor last night I'm over half done. But that is with making it exactly like the normal inieditor except using irrlicht. Is there anything rf2 ini that is different then rf's ini?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

yes, but nothing that the inieditor is concerned with. mainly video stuff (opengl and d3d have been replaced with opengl, d3d, d3d8, software, and softwareold). i might reshuffle the gui a bit to make it more intuitive, use new icons, etc. later on. glad to hear you've gotten so much of it done! you are using wxwidgets, right?

i'm about to transfer rf2 from my laptop to desktop. i plan on working on it tonight, hopefully getting the one ugly thing thats annoying me to death out of the way. when that's gone, progress on the menu code should absolutely fly.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

i got beyond that "ugly part" - note to self: read the manual. progress should proceed as usual now.
jonas

Post by jonas »

No I'm using Dev-cpp. I could switch over to code blocks though.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

if thats in answer to whether you use wxwidgets, wxwidgets is the library rf2 uses for all it's gui work, and the inieditor should be done in that. wxwidgets has little to do with dc++ or any ide.

if you can get perfect spacing with the tab key in dc++, great - otherwise, id rather if codeblocks were used, due to code i make using devcpp always turning out a mess indentationally.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

EDIT: never mind. that way leads to issues. it isnt as ugly as i thought to do it the "normal" way.
jonas

Post by jonas »

I have the newest version of dev-cpp and when you put and if statement it automaticly tab's it in like this.

Code: Select all

if(something)
         {
             break;
         }

is that what your meaning by tabs?
Jonas

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

yes. my problem was with second tabs, it put them way out. for instance:

good:

int main()
{
    if(true)
    {
        return 1;
    }

return 0;
}
bad(devcpp):

int main()
{
    if(true)
    {
                  return 1;
    }

return 0;
}
jonas

Post by jonas »

I agree with you, the way out tabs are annoying!

I adjusted the tabs for my liking which was closer like the top example.
Jonas

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Everyone: Please give your opinion on the issue in this link. http://www.freewebs.com/andycr/artisanb ... yid=344039
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I have bad news and good news. The bad news is, in a failed attempt to install dualbooting with linux and windows on my desktop, I seem to have messed up the bootloading on BOTH, causing the computer not to boot, and for now losing 2 days of RF2 work. The good news is, turning to linux on my laptop, I have now successfully compiled and run reality factory 2 on linux. I plan to move RF2 development to linux.