RF 2 Discussion

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I know there are more of you out there that have read post in regards to the blog of RF2 and how it will release. Please respond even though the decision has been made to release sooner than later. I know that even after a decision is made I would like to hear from others that they agree. It helps get rid of the voice of doubt in the back of your head.

If you want to post, you dont need an account. All you do is click the post comment button (under the dividing bar and above the already posted comments). Then type in your RF forum screen name and your comment. Click post and its put on the blog page.

*Im glad that there are people out there that can do all this coding for the community of noncoding game makers. Thank you for undertaking this massive project AndyCR. Also, thank you to all others that have helped in any shape or form with RF2 and RF in general. Keep up the great work.*
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

No problem, hope someone likes it. You can repay me by USING IT to make AWESOME GAMES! :D

As I said, I may not be able to finish it, but I am at the very least starting it.

The move to linux is going very well. I occasionally after a day of Linux have "Windows withdrawl" and have to boot into Windows for awhile and play some games. Must be all those years of using Windows. I now have a makefile, coding environment, etc all set up almost perfectly how I like it. One "make" command and it builds rf2, places the rf2 executable in the rf root folder, and deletes all the unnecesary files. One command of "./realityfactory" runs rf2. Quite useable. RF2 runs a little slower on linux and has a few graphical glitches, but that should be resolved when i start using my desktop again. It's basically apparently using software rendering right now, using Mesa3D, because of my laptops integrated graphics. Shouldn't be an issue on my desktop.

Dont get me wrong, RF2 still works perfectly on Windows, I just prefer linux. (Posting this from linux infact.)

I couldnt get my wireless working, so I was chained to my modem in the living room till yesterday when I finally for that working. I then couldnt get my bluetooth microsoft mouse working. I figured "good luck..." and left it alone for the night. I wake up, groggily get on my laptop, and after like a half hour of working on my laptop, happily using Linux, I realized... "OH! I'm using my mouse and its working!!!" It somehow fixed itself overnight. Don't ask, don;t tell. Maybe it was the reboot...? Either way that pretty much eliminates the last qualm and hardware issue i need to fix that I know of on my laptop.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I have a question about the file formats compatable with RF2. Will RF2 be compatable with the DirectX model format? I know Irrlect is compatable with it but will RF2 support it? I am using trueSpace3.2 for my modeling and it can save the models in DirectX format.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

yes, rf2 will support all irrlicht formats natively, with the exception of those which have licensing issues (ie quake 3 bsp)
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

Hay A'CR no posts for the last 4 days here or on you blog.

Can we have an update on what you are doing and if you going to give us a download to test out what you have do up to now.

( one for windowsif you have it. ) sorry I hate Linux I'm a point and click person, can't for the life of me compile Linux programmes. :oops:
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Sorry, no downloads yet. Developments going well, just transitioning to my new development environment. Signed up for FreshMeat hosting, hope they accept rf2.
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

I just posted and went back to the index and theres your name at the bottom of the site next to mine are you physic or what.

do you sleep.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

yeah, i sleep. just at night, though. :P
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

My last post tonight (i do sleep) :shock:

can you do something like this on your site

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/development.html

so we now where you are at, and those who can program can help with their skills for all the others parts.

this site needs an Emoticons for going to asleep :D
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

what, and have you pm me frantically because you havent seen the percentage for x component rise in the last 4 days?! :lol:

just kidding. i do believe i will.

how about this?

Code: Select all

Z
        z
    Z
 -------
/ -    - \
|  \__/ |
\---------/
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

OK, you wanted an update, here we go. Yes, I'm aware I'm posting this at 5:14AM.

I got rejected from Freshmeat.net because they don't accept any projects that can't be downloaded in some form. Ardentcrest, don't suppose you happen to be the manager there...? They sure seem to want the same thing as you... :wink:

I plan on signing up for dhost.info hosting to keep a site that tells the public whats happening with rf2, provide the status page you wanted, and provide a place to manage rf2 source among the developers.

RF2 itself is going rather slow. With my birthday and all (still celebrating it... MAN that lasertag is fun/tiring), its very slow. That will be fixed after I'm done.

EDIT: Oh, and my desktop is back up. Borealis is now back to the role of main RF2 dev machine. For now, so is Windows. Man, both DVD drives on my main machines are broken, and linux wiped out my programs partition, no more UT2004 for me right now. Then again, maybe thats better for RF2 :P

EDITEDIT: Fine, I'll set up Irrlicht and RF2 so I can compile them and work on them, even though it's about 5:30AM.
GD1

Post by GD1 »

lol, laser tag! ;)

my friend and i bought a $50 set not too long ago, got it out, looked at it, and took it right back to the store. it's uncanny how when your doing something nerdy like buying a laser tag set is the only time hot girls actually talk to you. and the whole time i'm trying to stand in front of the box so they don't see it, which is a strategy that never really seems to work :D
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

Hay A'CR I also play UT2004 Go by the name of "DADDY THE MAN" what do you go by. and by the way
I got rejected from Freshmeat.net because they don't accept any projects that can't be downloaded in some form. Ardentcrest, don't suppose you happen to be the manager there...? They sure seem to want the same thing as you...
No I own the company :P
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

i just go to a public laser tag arena and play.

in ut2004 i go by - brace yourself - AndyCR. never wouldve guessed, eh? :lol:

i plan on developing rf2 some more tonight.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

just added a page to my website you might like. http://www.freewebs.com/andycr/rf2devstatus.htm