Few posts recently but, summer is a commin'... (read me!)

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

might have to do that.......but keep a very similar interface to current RFEDITPRO's......I'm going to see today just how close I can come with basic wxwidgets buttons and g.u.i. elements( i use wxdev-c++ , and andy----i got irrlicht 1.0 installed.......)

if i can approximate very closely the rfeditpro g.u.i........you guys might have to help me a bit with the c++ stuff.....but i'm willing to give it a danged good try......

...I'm willing to dig into genesis3d code to find out what does what, and see if it can be done with irrlicht.

I'm coding a type of modeler now, and i'm gonna need a break from it, but keep learning and adding new skills....so i'm up for this.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

That would be great! Pretty much for now keep as close to the same interface as possible, and if we want to improve it later we can. Thanks again for any help you'd like to give, I need it!
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I wish I could help. Sadly I do not know C++. I need to find time to read those books by Bruce Eckle. Oh well, I need to see how my summer pans out before I volunteer anything. I don't want a repeat of my duel guns commitment. I will finish that sometime, I just need to find the time. Also, thank you to those that are helping Andy out.

I have a few questions:

Will RF2 be able to use actors as level geometry without any drawbacks simply because they are actors like in the current RF? If so, then I can make my levels in say blender instead of needing a special level creator to start them.

Another thing, if I script in physics with the current RF, will I have to recode the physics for RF2? The same goes for scripted characters and pawns.

Finally, in RF 075 are there physics built in? Or is there another RF with that? And where do I find tuts on how to impliment them?
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

MakerOfGames wrote:Will RF2 be able to use actors as level geometry without any drawbacks simply because they are actors like in the current RF? If so, then I can make my levels in say blender instead of needing a special level creator to start them.
Yes, though you will want to model the individual stuff in blender then import and assemble the pieces in RFEditPro for the best loading times.
MakerOfGames wrote:Another thing, if I script in physics with the current RF, will I have to recode the physics for RF2? The same goes for scripted characters and pawns.
1. Yes.
2. I would rather not say TODAY, I will be making an announcement relating to that sometime soon.
MakerOfGames wrote:Finally, in RF 075 are there physics built in? Or is there another RF with that? And where do I find tuts on how to impliment them?
No, but there is a beta floating around on the forums somewhere.
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

Just did a quick design test, basic layout: panel, middle panel, and 2 toolbars up top, with a wxnotebook on the left side, with 4 tabs...added a few elements......i'll say now....it's not only possible....but very doable!!!!!

if you want to see a 30 minute test of what i just did....i'll upload a pic of it........

I'm going to go through a few entities and see what they do, how they are coded and see if i can come up with an irrlicht equiv( unless that is what you are doing andy?)
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Wow, that's great, I'd love to see it! :D

No, right now, for reasons I would rather not say TODAY, doing the entities would be a waste of time. Thank you though.
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

when i get this basic g.u.i done....you want the code?

anyways....here's the shots of just testing and seeing what i could come up with-----[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b34/Voltare/rf2a1.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by Voltare on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

if you'd like to send it to me id love it, thanks again!
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

WOW that progress on the new level editor seems to becoming along quickly! I am very glad to see such fast positive feed back of the possibility of coding it.

Its rather unfortunant that I might have to rescript physics. I say might have to because by the time I get to that, RF2 might be out(meaning I work terribly slow. I dont have much confidence in my speed of development because of the extream lack of time I have had to do such a thing for the past 9 months.) And player scripting might have to be recoded. Alright, I'll make do. Thanks for the info.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

and another : was attempting the tabbed stuff on the left side first......seeing just what i could do.....and how close i could get it:[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b34/Voltare/rf2a2.jpg[/img][/img]

I think , just from this quick testing, that with a little work.....wxdevc++ will be able to approximate current RFeditPro extremely close.

One "fun" part that i see right off the bat, will be making the buttons that will be for " cube", "cylinder", etc. show stuff in that panel on the right..........
Last edited by Voltare on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

very nice screen. Looks very much like RFeditPro.

I have one more question, can someone please give me a link to the physics verison of RF? Is it the same January version found in the physics car demo thread?
Think outside the box.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

wow, GREAT job! :D

Yes, that's the one, i -think-.

Don't worry -too- much about the script situation, RF2 will ship with plenty of scripts. I won't speak of what I'm working on, but it's relating to all this.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I take the fifth. (Edit: Hey, you deleted your post.)
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I'll try not to worry too much. The only thing I dread is rewritting scripts but if that is required than I will do it. Rewrite shouldn't be too much trouble.
Think outside the box.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

:lol: Andy were you posting to my deleted post? Sorry about that. I changed my mind on what I wanted to say.

EDIT:
I figured I was asking too much about that.

EDIT: EDIT: @ AndyCR
I figured I was asking too much about that.(refering to the scripts in my deleted post)

Ok im done with this edit edit edit stuff.
Think outside the box.