What the hell? Help my game went freaking nuts!

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Tabulanis wrote:
BTW on the up side I have a great effect now in the game where lights give a volume like effect shining through dust. I use it on a stained glass window.
You have that cool light shinning effect figured out?!!! I asked about that awhile ago!!! HOW IS IT DONE??!!!!

Now my little rant section:

RF is a good basic game making program. Sure its got bugs, and a limit on capibilites and requires some scripting knowledge to do most of wat you want it to do, but its the ONLY, and I mean the ONLY COMPLETELY FREE GAME MAKING SOFTWARE OUT THERE WORTH WHILE. I am using RF because 2 years ago when I decided to go 3D with game making, this is the only software that I could trust and seemed possible to learn and use. RF's main point is its free. Everything in this game making world is expensive! TrueSpace 7.7(latest version) is $799, 3DS max costs around the same amount. Game Studio 6 costs $199, and thats the only software I could find compareable to RF. Sure its more advanced, but $199 for a simple hobby project?! I'll take the free software with the bugs and nice forums. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you need to take RF for what its worth. If you are really so tired of working with it, good luck finding an equivelent. I searched for game making software just like RF before I found it for 3-4 hours a day for five days in a row, so good luck if you have RF issues that you can't resolve. Be patient. RF is advancing, and a promising RF2 is under development. I say, if you are fed up with this RF, search the net for some people to help Andy code the next generation of this miracle software. *seriously, he needs help so just do that anyway :P*
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I'd say Tab is being more than patient, he is a trailblazer. I know that I have said that a beginner can can find the answers they need to get themselves going and create fun levels to play with, but no, the answers which Tab is searching for can not be found in the help. He is way beyond the help files.

The kind of help Tab needs could only come from a QOD or an Andy or maybe from a Ralph Deane. His issues are rooted fairly deep in the Engine itself.

I want no one to take Tabulanis' remarks as complaints. He is doing things no one else has tried to date. And doing a heck of job. He is like the ultimate beta tester (for a twelve year old, or so, engine), and when he has sweated and worked so hard to reach a point, he hates to flick the switch and see it all go kablooey!. Can't blame him one bit.
shadow

Post by shadow »

Tab has some of the best level design work bar none.

To see someone push RF to the limit, making RF do what most of us only dream of then point out what RF still needs is a very positive thing.

Lets be positive, and make this a great place to come to for everyone and enjoy. :)

RF has succeeded because of people like Tab pointing out things that are broken, or something that will make it better.
Now, if only we were all programmers....
GD1

Post by GD1 »

steven8 the 2nd wrote:I want no one to take Tabulanis' remarks as complaints. He is doing things no one else has tried to date. And doing a heck of job. He is like the ultimate beta tester (for a twelve year old, or so, engine), and when he has sweated and worked so hard to reach a point, he hates to flick the switch and see it all go kablooey!. Can't blame him one bit.
amen to that.

I've gotten some pretty decent visuals myself. but I always seemed to hit a wall that kept me from going any further. trust me, without constructive criticism like this, RF will never get anywhere.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

To maybe clear things up furthur here, my post with small rant was a general rant to anybody, not directed at Tab. He is taking RF past its known limits and creating amazing results. And I too know what it feels to have a project go boom in my face. Not anywhere near as severe as Tab has just seen, but when 3D modeling programs crash and you havent saved yet.... yeah I think that explains it well enough.

Now can we stop jumping at eachother? The tension found in this thread is terrible.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I am just so into the idea of promoting Rf right now and trying to get people in here and involved, that I was trying to diffuse issues. I apologize profusely if I was in any way part of the tension. I'm tellin' ya, I was us all to be nothin' but a big team.