enemy possesion script thread.

Discuss any other topics here
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I only skimmed the article so I didnt read how others suggested it. Anyway, I think the easiest way to do it is when possesing a gaurd or what not, the player creates a pawn that uses the same actor as him and gives it an idle script or no script at all. Then the player collsion is turned off, moves to the xyz of the guard, switchs actor to the one of the guard and then the guard would become invisable and attach itself to the player. Then when the key is pressed to stop the possesion, the player entity jumps back to the pawn it created of itself and deletes it, the gaurd entity detaches itself from the player before it moves back to where they were. SO the gaurd is left where the player stopped and the player jumps back to where they started.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
allen5924

CAN HELP!!!

Post by allen5924 »

dude... i can maybe help....

i'll just check out the scripting...
and implement it into the pawn...

out..
wid ♥

me
psYco

Post by psYco »

Hey im back! :D Sorry did not find an internet cafe in Londen but it was ment to be a break from my game and everything so I just relaxed but now that Im back I am excited to jump rite in to some scripting! :D

So I was wondering Juutis can you tell how to get started cause Ive got all the will in the world but im lost without a paddle on how to get started! :?

Thanks soooo much guys its great to have such an experienced community backing me! :D

If your interrested ill be posting a detailed plan of the plot for my game in the game desighn forum (I wont give away the mistery of the buttons or the ending!)

Any way thanks again!

[edit] @ Allen 5924; good to see you again my crazy asian! :P thanks for the help ill keep in touch about it with you via email though, but any results we come up with ill post here! [edit]
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I think you should start with scripting the player. It is just a normal pawn but it can be controlled by user inputs. I hope you know the basics of scripting... if not, try reading the manual and writing some little scripts (like moving a pawn around).

Well anyway...
Here's how I would start it:

Code: Select all

{

Spawn[()
{
	BoxWidth(20);
	StepHeight(10);

LowLevel("setup");
} ]

setup[()
{
	self.ThinkTime = 0.1;

PlayerRender(false);
	self.yaw_speed = 360;

AttachCamera();

self.think = "mainloop";
} ]

mainloop[()
{
	self.ThinkTime = 0;

//all kinds of weird stuff here, including movement, rotating etc...
} ]

}
All the commands and descriptions are in the manual.
You can use IsKeyDown() command to check if a particular keyboard key is pressed and then react to it by playing an animation, moving to a direction etc...
You should also disable the built-in player. Just disable all controls in the control.ini and in the playersetup.ini remove all injury/death/land sounds as well as any things that may cause damage to the player.

I hope this gets you going. If not, just let me know and I'll try to find some time to explain things better.
Pain is only psychological.
psYco

Post by psYco »

Thanks thats awsome! :D Ill get to work rite now and hopefully ill be done with the script by the end of holidays!!! Oh just one thing what manuel where is it? and I dont quite know the basics of scripting as per say so I'll need that manuel to get started! :D
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

There's a folder called "docs" in your RF folder. Find the file called 'index.htm' and open it. That's the manual.
psYco

Post by psYco »

Oh sorry I knew that I just forgot it had stuff about scripting, I have only used it for level desighn help before! Thanks agiain :D But I have a feeling Ill be back in a few days crying cause my scripts broke and I am confused! :roll:
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Don't you worry about that crying part, that's why the forums are here. To help people learn. :D
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

How's it goin', psYco?

It's been a while since the last post. Any progress?
psYco

Post by psYco »

well my school goes back to school to this monday... :( and since im new to the UK (just moved from SA (south africa look it up) 3 months ago I have alot to catch up maths in third world countrys sucks apparently! :( . Soo not too much progress ive worked out sum kinks in hte story and have done loads of concept and finished modelling the guards will post pics soon, (mabey next week when Ive done the guns) but as far as scripts Im confused as a (very confused person) but im gonna leave that for next holidays! When I post the pics youll be shocked probably but please see my theorys on the ''look of indie games'' in hte ''new look 21st century'' thread in general disscussions... So rite now im learning how to use blender (to do the numerous cutscenes) and working out the levels and seeing how theyll fit into the story.

Rite now im focussing on how to bring the core aspect of my game into excistance, spirituallity. Im not religeous at all, but I do believe that all living things have a ''spirit'' which is what makes them alive, and so my game will be very spiritual, experimenting with many ancient african cultures and spirituallitys all portrayed in an abstract Sci-Fi unverse...

This is all the ''progress'' I have so far thanks for taking an interest! :D

@ Juutis: BTW just looking at your screens and I realy think that that FPS of yours has pottential! So mabey you could instead of choosing (FPS or RPG) make a FPSRPG w/ the visereal melee' combat system you wanted! :D That would be fun!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

well my school goes back to school to this monday... :( and since im new to the UK (just moved from SA (south africa look it up) 3 months ago I have alot to catch up maths in third world countrys sucks apparently! :(
Hey that's cool! I would love to see what it is like in South Africa. :D
Good luck on your school. I hope you can catch up with the others.

That spirituality in Sci-fi universe sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing this game! :D
@ Juutis: BTW just looking at your screens and I realy think that that FPS of yours has pottential! So mabey you could instead of choosing (FPS or RPG) make a FPSRPG w/ the visereal melee' combat system you wanted! Very Happy That would be fun!
Thanks!
I thought about mixing the two games into one, too, but then I realized it would be one heck of a project! It would be cool, but I'm not crazy enough to do something like that. :D
I've also realized that RF works best when making a game with guns. A working melee combat system is very hard to make.
psYco

Post by psYco »

Ja Suid Afrika rox! (if you excuse the rampant aids, corruption, crime etc, etc)

And I think your rite, although RF is very versitle I have often cum up with projects that I had to dismiss simply because RF is not suitable, or it would just take too much wotk in RF. Even getting my pitchfork to work in School of the Dead was a misson, (now it actually fires a large projectile that is backfaced so you cant see it, that we set up to only go about 1m in RL (real life))

@ Juutis: Any way good luck with your new project! What is it about? I havent seen anything in the forums so I guess your still starting out with it, and like me have school to worry about! And BTW knowing that when I do get to the scripting youll be there to help is a HUGE morale booster!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Any way good luck with your new project! What is it about? I havent seen anything in the forums so I guess your still starting out with it
In fact I'm not starting a 'new' project. I'm bringing an old project back to life. Maybe... I'm not sure yet.
But that's enough of MY games in YOUR thread. I don't wanna take over your thread by talking about my games. :D

And about that scripting... I'm glad I can help. :D
psYco

Post by psYco »

speaking of threads loosing track of themselves... This thread has lost most of its relevence to scripting since I know what Im planning wiht the scripts and I know whos best to ask for advice, SO im changing the subject line and if a moderator who passes by would please move this to general discussion that would be appreaciated!! :D

Thanks!
psYco

Post by psYco »

These are some early screens of the guards in my game the models are nice and low-poly and so I will be able to use them interesting ways, the textures however are JUST ALPHA! they are just the basic concept of the ''look'' of the guards NOT THE FINAL OR ANY THING LIKE THE FINAL textures.

Please tell me what you think to find out more about this game such as the story which can be found in the game desighn section ''red button story'' and some of the ideas of the style of game can be found here in gerneral disscussions, ''new look 21st century... menu help!''

This thread is inspired by MoG, and I think having a thread for your game is great! It allows you to get the much needed help and feedback as well as crits and support! AND it allows every one to monitor the games progress frm start to finish!

:) So here are the pics:
Last edited by psYco on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.