RF and physics

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
Nout

Physics example by avi

Post by Nout »

I've send a low qualit avi to Daniel for posting that will give a "very basic" idea of what physics I talk about

You will see a long chain of pink boxes that works as a kind of hanging bridge (it is a chain of bodies connected by hinge joints between 2 points) and on which a ball runs from one side to the other side + falls off the chain. Later I put some forces on the ball to lift it an let it drop again

I yesterday completed the part of shooting on projectiles with physics. You now can shoot a projectile that realy puts force on the object you hit and let it move, or fall, or bounce etc...

I also tried a wall of boxes and shoot 1 box out of it. It works, but the boxes stay sometimes hanging a bit above the floor + rotate strange... So still something must be wrong...

Also yesterday I added a motor joint and it starts to work !
To test it I made a primitive "car" just from boxes with wheels that are boxes aswell. The motor joint makes the wheels to turn and the car body moves up and down accordingly the not circular shape of the wheel (no need for programing any animations), but still something is wrong with the joint orientation. The wheel can also bend towards or away from the car body...
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Ahh, okay. Thanks for the non-programmer description XP Sounds a lot like the Tokamak engine, after all. You're a Godsend to all amateur/indie game developers, Nout! :D
(\/)
(Oo)
(><)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination! Thank you.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

Here is Nout's physics video:
Attachments
physics.zip
(510.89 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Those physics look wicked sweet! How did you make that rope? Could that be used to make rag doll? Nice work! Very well done!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

:shock: ............ I'm speechless.

The physics look great!!! the bridge im guessing that has no actor/bsp attached to it and is just a bounding box representation?

that looks Incredible!! the ball bouncing arounds looks cool, the fact that we get no slowdown because it calculated first is a bonus too

Can't wait to try!!!....
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

This looks like a SUPER-Ball in a SUPER- Box...... :shock:

I can't find the words to say anything... IDEA!
:D Let's change the render and sell RF to Epic! RF = UNREAL4!!!
GD1

Post by GD1 »

whoa.... that's impressive! and it works with projectiles too!? :) can't wait to play with this!

@frederico
uhhhhhh....... selling RF to Epic kinda defeats the point :wink: :lol:
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

looks great! one idea: add a "force" entry to weapon.ini which controls how much force a projectile will apply to the physics object (f.i. a grenade launcher should make them fly further than a glock)
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

wow...That's amazing! Keep up the good work!
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
Nout

Post by Nout »

AndyCR,

I'm sorry but I had this idea already 2 days ago...
Means it is already implemented :lol:

I've send 3 other videos (one with shooting) to Daniel
You will also see that things are not yet perfect ...

The chain is build from 20 actors. The actor is a simple box. To add a chain like this, you just need to add 2 entities
Bodies can role over it, like the ball, but the player can not yet walk over it... This needs more code...

You can also script a chain with just 10 lines, and yes, you should be able to make ragdols etc...
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

wow. amazing. i cannot wait for this, this and networking would leave us with no real reason to use other engines instead of rf.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

RF is almost perfect! Physics are here and the only thing left in my opinion is online play. Great work! I cant wait to play around with the physics and rag doll!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

WTF? I thought I posted here... Oo;

Awesome! Obviously requires a little work, but damned if it isn't awesome already! =o~ Can't wait to see the finished product! :D But don't rush yourself, other wise you'll burn yourself out Oo; How will we apply this to our meshes/actors? Will we have to do it in some other program or will we be able to do it in ActorStudio or whatnot?
(\/)
(Oo)
(><)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination! Thank you.
psychopath

Post by psychopath »

psychopath is back! and ready to give more technical explination(and then to have it corrected by everyone else, because I don't actually know what i'm talking about :P)

@MOG(because he brought it up..sort of), and whoever else is interested:

Doing per-poly collision for an entire game/level is computationally expensive, and, on its own, would bring even the fastest machine to its knees. All physics engines that I know of (or the good ones anyway), use a hierarchial collision system; The engine uses bounding boxes/spheres as the highest level of collision test. The engine then checks to see if the camera, or another object collided with the bounding geometry, if so, it then continues to do per-poly tests on that object, else, there was no collision, and thus, no need to do the expensive per-poly test. This system then ties in to the worlds space partitioning system (BSP, Octree, etc) to make everything even more efficient. Ex. If the bounding box isn't in this node, don't even bother to check that, let alone the polys.
So really, there is no way to per-poly collision, that completely escapes bounding geometry (as of now).

Anyway, please correct any errors.(theres no way I got all that accurate) Also, this isn't supposed to be offensive, or me trying to make myself look smart. This is me trying to give others an understanding of how things work, as best as I can.

-psychopath
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

you should be able to make ragdols etc...
You Da Man! this is totally awsome i cant wait to see the new avi's!!!
WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!
RF is almost perfect! Physics are here and the only thing left in my opinion is online play
I agree, i think we could almost call RF 1.0 very soon, the inclusion of a physics engine only leaves out multiplayer and that's basically it...

AGAIN big thanks Nout in bring our games one step closer to being acheivable!!!