Need some helpful suggestions for an audio problem

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Check your mailbox. I use RF edit pro all the time. But I've just spotted that ogg files only play as streaming audio and not as AudioSource3d. Please let me know your results.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

bernie wrote:Check your mailbox. I use RF edit pro all the time. But I've just spotted that ogg files only play as streaming audio and not as AudioSource3d. Please let me know your results.
That is what I just found out. I got my sound to play with the streamingaudiproxy, but couldn't get it to work as audiosource3d.

:cry:
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

You're right. I just looked through the code: mp3 and ogg files can only be used with streaming audio.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

QuestOfDreams wrote:You're right. I just looked through the code: mp3 and ogg files can only be used with streaming audio.
Could they be added to the audiosource3d entity?
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

Thanks for the file Bernie, I tried it in the szStreamingAudio in the PlayerStart entity but wouldn't work. I did manage to get a mp3 file to work there sometimes though. It seems to make playing the level unstable (picture breaking/locking up) and will crash sometimes. Same thing happens in a streamingAudioProxy, even with a wav file. I'm giving up and will just use wav files in an AudioSouce3d which seems to work for me with no problems.

In the Docs and in the printed RF reference guide which I bought with RF pro. a long time ago it says mp3 and ogg files CAN be used in an AudioSouce3d entity by the way.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

In the Docs and in the printed RF reference guide which I bought with RF pro. a long time ago it says mp3 and ogg files CAN be used in an AudioSouce3d entity by the way.
What version of RF are you using? the latest version is RF v 075C you can download from here: http://www.realityfactory.info/cms/inde ... &Itemid=21
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

I know that the docs say mp3 files work with the AudioSource3d entity. That's why I looked at the code. Nothing is perfect ... :roll:
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

I've been trying different versions, got them right back to 069 on CD, using the lastest one at the moment, 075A with 075C patch.

Thanks for all your help everyone, RF has a good forum and it's a great program, I've often been thrilled over the years as a new feature as been added, thanks to all who've been involved in developing it, I've learned a lot as a senior citizen.
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

Could they be added to the audiosource3d entity?

I think that's a good idea too, I only know hardly anything about "C" coding, would it be a hard job to do.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

RobRoy wrote:Could they be added to the audiosource3d entity?

I think that's a good idea too, I only know hardly anything about "C" coding, would it be a hard job to do.
Yes, that task would be for the likes of QOD and others. For know ,so you can get up an running and back to game making, I'd just go with the wav files. It's easy to get snagged on these types of thing, and it feels like you've hit a dead end. Work around those things so you get to running around in your own custom games!!!!