Weirdness texturing

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

Ehh... I see no way of selecting all faces in World Editor.

Go edit/select/faces/all in selected brushes

buried 4 deep

Try the Asylum Demo 2
http://terrymorgan.net/asylum.htm
Baiame

Post by Baiame »

I see, thanks.

Problem now is that texturing in World Edit doesn't seem to work. But I can't do this in RFEditPro, because it can't export to .map.
Pete

Post by Pete »

huh??? sure it can. try again. hint compile your level and you'll have a .3dt, a .bsp, a .map...
Baiame

Post by Baiame »

Thanks.

Really, wouldn't have thought of that. Seems a bit random to have to compile a map just to export it to a different format...

EDIT- Nooooooo! It seems you can't open a .map in Hammer after saving it from the RF map editors. Damn. That pretty much crushes my hope of using this engine.

For the love of God, someone make an editor for this that supports vertex editing!
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

Yes you can import maps into hammer,

however don't include any entities from RF worldcraft does not recognize them, this could be the reason that it is producing a crash or an error,
we currently have no official support for WC (because WC is only used for Valve products)

.map's are interchangable formats between RF and WC though....

use WC only for making your maps then import everything into Rfeditpro to add entities, and texture ect.
Baiame

Post by Baiame »

Spyrewolf wrote:use WC only for making your maps then import everything into Rfeditpro to add entities, and texture ect.
That's the problem, though. To have to re-texture everything and add all the entities again every time you change a map is completely impractical. If that information can not be preserved when opening in Hammer, it can't really be used to map for RF.
ZenBudha

Post by ZenBudha »

I use RFEditPro exclusively for RF levels. Never had any problems or need for vertex editing. Anything that can be done with simple vertex editing like Quark has etc. Can be done using the basic shapes in RFEditPro.

Hint. The stairs template and the Make Ramp checkbox is your best friend.

With it you can do anything a basic vertex editing editor will allow you to do.
Fear not the textures for the almighty stylus is with thee - Book of Zen
Baiame

Post by Baiame »

Even if that is true (and I have my doubts), I still can't work without vertex editing.
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

Anything that can be done with simple vertex editing like Quark has etc. Can be done using the basic shapes in RFEditPro.

This is nonsense.

there's a quark vertex editing tutorial on my download page
http://terrymorgan.net/download.htm

'quarkvertexedit' Note I
would never use Quark if

I have worldcraft 3.3, it will do single vertices, quark does
2 at a time only.

RF FAQ http://terrymorgan.net/rffaq.zip
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

it is - theorethically- possible to make everything with the rf editors, but then it is likely that you run into brush overlapping and cut brush use, two things that should be avoided.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
ZenBudha

Post by ZenBudha »

Well I didn't know Worldcraft offered single vertex editing. However I have never need to make a brush that oddy shaped as to need to adjust one vertex at a time.

However I could see something like that usefull in say building terrain by hand out of basic geometry.

However I typically do terrain in a terrain program, and then do the rest in RFEditPro. I would definitely like to see some shots of the level once finished. Obviously I doubt you going through all the trouble just for terrain editing.
ound like you have some very interesting architecture going on.
Fear not the textures for the almighty stylus is with thee - Book of Zen
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

That's the problem, though. To have to re-texture everything and add all the entities again every time you change a map is completely impractical. If that information can not be preserved when opening in Hammer, it can't really be used to map for RF.
:evil: ......*Sigh*

[RANT]
YES! thats right! WC is not supported by RF, RF is not supported by WC,

this is just a work around, to get vertex editing in RF, untill we have vertex editing in the editors this is the best option,

build the level once in WC then refine in RFeditpro it's that simple, you don't need to go back and forth between the editors, you can load in new sections into RFeditpro by opening a .map file this just imports the new section in.

it's no good saying that it should have this and that, because this is an open scource engine, and has no funding behind it, the features are added by users like you and I, and the dev team do this in their free time, and don't get paid for it.

if you are after vertex editing in RF either wait for the feature to be added or add the code to the editor yourself its open scource no-one is stopping you,

if you think RF has trouble doing this 'cos you can't be bothered importing and retexturing you're just being lazy!!! it's not really that much of stretch

i'll happily post images of maps i've made with vertex editing, and that the WC -> RF workaround is fine!

i don't mean to be rude but have a bit of respect, the dev team work hard to maintain this engine and without 'em we'd have a nothing. if the editors are going to get vertex editing they will, just be patient!

[/RANT]
Baiame

Post by Baiame »

Spyrewolf wrote:if you think RF has trouble doing this 'cos you can't be bothered importing and retexturing you're just being lazy!!! it's not really that much of stretch!
Everything you said before was fair enough, but that's taking it too far. To consider selection and application of hundreds of textures (especially with the editors' subpar functionality) for every changed section too much work is not being lazy. Only if you're talking about a really simple map.

I don't know where you got the impression from that I was complaining about the lack of Hammer support. I was merely stating the obvious: Hammer is impractical for the creation of maps for RF. Not to say that it should be. I do, however, think that improvement of RF's level editors should be top-priority, as it seems to me to be the most poor aspect of this SDK.
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

All of the RF editors are impractical for the creation of anything!

What I do is everything possible in Worldcraft 3.3, don't even
do any texturing, why would you, they all get hosed in the
conversion. Then I use my WC 3.3 level to put in arches, doorways, small stuff I can export as a prefab. Still I spend 90
percent of my time in World Editor 2.
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

look im sorry, was having a bad day,

but in all honesty, RF has lot of work arounds, hence why rf after years and years is still at 0.75 not version 1.0

i think RF is a good engine but not perfect, the engine still can produce pretty good visuals, and for the price it can't be beaten and thats a fact!!!

the editors are buggy, sure, they don't support vertex editing, but still can create the effect without out the use of vertex editing, WC is just a quicker at developing levels than the RF editors,

as for the texturing you can have exactly the same textures in your WC wad that you do in your RFpak and the in the conversion each is smart enough to know what textures go where,

the main problem is being the texture rotation and offsets, this all needs to be re-configured and adjusted when imported,

the reason i blew up is that i hear lots of peeps complaining, and never actually do anything constructive to fix the problem and on the complaining

note it sound to me like a complaint sorry for accusing your if that was not the case...