RF 2 Discussion

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

RF2 development after the slow spell is going great, I'm working on reading the title bitmap for the main menu background. almost done, and it's only taken a few minutes. I can barely imagine how fast RF2 will go when I sit down and work on it for hours again.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

rf2 is going through a rough-n-tumble time... the work is hard and boring. shouldnt last more than a couple days though.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

rough-n-tumble bit is over. should be smooth sailing from here on out.
jonas

Post by jonas »

it appears that it lasted less then a day!
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

yeah, it worked out quite well.... :D

this morning i fixed 41 compile errors in less than 30 seconds... think thats a new record :shock: they were simple though, include files not included.

back on to the menu class i go, with my newly constructed commondata class...
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

things are going incredbly, especially with cvs now used for rf2 development; just the presence of it makes me want to get alot of work done on rf2 and commit it asap. this morning i wrote 100 lines of menu code in about 30 minutes at 7 something am :shock:

to that end, ive finished the "rough cut" (term ill use to refer to code thats finished except for removing debugging symbols, removing some hardcoded values, and optimizing/cleanup, but works and performs its intended job) of the menu title code.

chalk up a new record... 55 errors fixed in 15 seconds... those include errors are biting me :shock:
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Incredible progress is being made. It's coming very, very quickly after the menu re-conception. I'm making helper methods, and after those are done, the menu should be done in short order. I'll definitly have a screenshot to show then. :D
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

WOW. just got a 115 line gold star compile!! (for those who dont know, its code that you write that works the first time with no issues)

I might very well have a screenshot to show TODAY!
jonas

Post by jonas »

I had never heard that term before thanks now I'll use it if I ever get that lucky!!!!

Oh and keep up the good work :D
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

hitting another rough spot, having a "cant happen" error that has already cost me hours. :? :x

should be over soon, i hope.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Question. Will RF2 support skinned ragdoll(with bones and joints that is)? And will it recognize the predefined rotation angles of joints from the models mesh or will you have to define it through scipting? I asked this when 075 and physics came out but now I wanna know if RF2 will support it.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

If RF2's initial release supports physics, it will most likely support skinned ragdoll as well. If not, it of course won't. I can't guess on something that far in the future. The plan is to impliment physics in RF2's initial release IF it dosen't delay the initial release too much. As such, I need to see how fast progress is coming at that point in order to answer that question. However, current progress (beyond this terrible last couple days) is very encouraging. In fact, I'm actually suffering burnout a bit, because on Saturday I actually coded about a third of RF2's entire codebase, ALL IN ONE DAY. Had I been able to sustain that rate, RF2 would have been to the point it is now in about 3 days after starting. Heck, I can take a month off because of burnout and still be on schedule :shock: :P (Don't worry, I wont.) However, that was an absolutely insane coding spree, and I simply can't keep up with that pace.

Sorry for being so ambiguous.
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

actually skinned ragdoll for 075 isn't so far. Nout is hard workin for a final release with all the major features implemented (complete script system, vehicle physics and related stuff, ragdolls, player in physics world). Naturally it's an ambitious project and more bugfix will have to come. I'm creating in the same time some demos to show functionalities. You can see in the forum some shots of my ragdoll physics. This is the base for a skinned ragdoll. the problem is that I get an erroneus behaviour in getting right values from euler angles so I can't put the ragdoll bodyparts in the same bone rotation of the pawn. At that time the genesis animation will be clean up and the genesis actor will follow the physics simulation, so the last part of the job is to move via coding the actor's bones to match the joints of the ragdoll entity (made invisible) position rotation. This part requires a deep knowledge of genesis API but we have QoD and wxb1 so it can't be so difficult :wink: .
Cynnical

Post by Cynnical »

oh man i cant wait till RF2 comes out, its gonna be awesome. :-)
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

:) Thanks for the kind words, they help! :D

RF2 is being refitted with a new error handling system. I skimped on that early on and it's really biting me now. That's why the progress page isn't being updated.