Juutis' game thread!!! (Nirhis)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Sph!nx

Re: Juutis's game thread!!! (Nirhis)

Post by Sph!nx »

Nice, although I would shrink the size of the text on the labels or tabs you have at the top!
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

you already posted that juutis
Herp derp.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

darksmaster923 wrote:you already posted that juutis
I know. He just mentioned the inventory and I wanted him to know that something has been done about it. That's all. :)
Pain is only psychological.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

It's been quiet in this thread for a while (again). So I think it's about time to give a little update on me and my project.

As you know, I'm still in the army. Still got six weeks of service. I found out my final place there. Earlier I only knew I was gonna be an anti-tank guy, but now the teams (squads, groups, whatever they are called) were finally made up. My primary weapon is the APILAS along with the M72 LAW and my role is to support groups that use the much heavier 95 S 58-61 which is a vulnerable weapon since it isn't very mobile. Last week I got to shoot the APILAS, and man, it blasted the crap out of me. It's unbelievable how hard it kicks. I held it as hard and tight as I could but still after firing the beast I found myself looking at the sky instead of the target tank that I aimed through the scope.

Anyway, I've gotten some new ideas for Nirhis; A weapon inspired by DotA and Painkiller. The meat hook. Basically it's a hook with a chain attached to it and you can swing it and slash enemies. However, its secondary function is what makes it more exciting: You can throw it at enemies and if it hits it attaches itself to the target and then you can pull the chain knocking the enemy off his feet. Or if the hook kills the enemy when it hits the enemy's ragdoll will, instead of flying away from you like it is with normal weapons, fly towards you. So you can pull enemies to yourself. I've done some testing and this weapon is totally possible to make.

There's also a crossbow that shoots 3 flaming arrows at a time and a flare gun and who-knows-what but they're not that interesting... One thing I'd like to share with you guys, however, is an idea I got from the game XIII. It allows you to pick up various items in the level and use them as one-shot weapons. Like you can grab a chair and slam it on an enemy's head knocking him unconcious. All of these items were similar, though. You could just hit or throw the enemies with them. So, I thought I'd take the idea one step further: Each of these weapons would be unique. Like a bottle of vodka: You could grab it from a table and after a brief animation you would have a molotov coctail in your hands. It would cause a lot of extra work to create a system like this but I think it would pay off and give a more enjoyable playing experience.

Any ideas, thoughts?
fps
Location: in a magical land devoid of hope, happiness, and sanity.

Post by fps »

A lot of ideas that i have had on paper before. The longer I wait it seems, the more people are eventually going to think the same as me.
I wrote a chapter on "Environmental weapons".
Anyway, I've gotten some new ideas for Nirhis; A weapon inspired by DotA and Painkiller. The meat hook. Basically it's a hook with a chain attached to it and you can swing it and slash enemies. However, its secondary function is what makes it more exciting: You can throw it at enemies and if it hits it attaches itself to the target and then you can pull the chain knocking the enemy off his feet. Or if the hook kills the enemy when it hits the enemy's ragdoll will, instead of flying away from you like it is with normal weapons, fly towards you. So you can pull enemies to yourself. I've done some testing and this weapon is totally possible to make.
Had an idea for the like. Saw myself shooting a guy in the chest with the first shot and shooting a passing bus with the other for an interesting environmental "Dragged to death" effect.
Let me know how this goes for you.

Why did you go with an rk-62? Seems a bit odd.
Ever use one?

Let me get this straight.
Your job is to lug around 2 rocket launchers to back up a guy with a bigger antitank weapon.
You have no small arms for backup? Tell me they at least have a pdw or a handgun strapped on you.
Must have been thrilling to fire a rocket launcher. Wish I could try it once in my life but a cs degree doesn't exactly lead there.
Well best of luck to you.
looking forward to this game.
1 wrote:
for the internet is a cruel and dark place at times, and there's sex and blood everywhere.

2 wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

You have no small arms for backup? Tell me they at least have a pdw or a handgun strapped on you.
Nono, I still have my RK-62. But my main job is to destroy tanks with the APILAS, so I don't use the rifle much. We have machine gunners and normal riflemen (or cannon fodder, as we like to call them) to get rid of the enemy infantry.
Must have been thrilling to fire a rocket launcher. Wish I could try it once in my life but a cs degree doesn't exactly lead there.
Hehe, yeah. It was definately one of the greatest experiences in my life. I wish I could do it again. :D
Well best of luck to you.
looking forward to this game.
Thanks! I'll do my best to finish it as soon as possible. I hope it will be ready before RF2. :)
fps

Post by fps »

Hehe, yeah. It was definately one of the greatest experiences in my life. I wish I could do it again. :D
Watch what you wish for.
1 wrote:
for the internet is a cruel and dark place at times, and there's sex and blood everywhere.

2 wrote:

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Alright, time for a quick update. My short career in the army is finally coming to its end. One more week to go. :lol:
It's been a great experience and I'm glad I did it. I wouldn't do it again though. No way.

I got myself a laptop. An Asus G1SG, to be precise, with Windows Vista. I've already installed pretty much all I need and everything is running smoothly. This laptop even runs Crysis. :mrgreen:

I've also got something new to show. Not much though. I retextured the pistol:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/pistol_old_new.jpg
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

Thats a much better texture on the pistol, I don't suppose you want to release a second demo? :P
How close to finishing this are you BTW?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I don't suppose you want to release a second demo?
Who knows... I happen to have a nearly perfect level for a demo almost finished... All the weapons are nearly finished... I already have a few enemies modeled... Maybe one day I'll surprise you guys with a new demo. Maybe. :wink:
How close to finishing this are you BTW?
Nowhere near finishing. My plan is to finish the game by RF2's release. I really hope I can make it in time.
fps

Post by fps »

GOOD job on the pistol. First thing I thought when I saw that was Browning hi-power.
This pic happens to be a super deluxe but the way the grip is shaped reminds me of browning pistols.
I've heard it be called the Cadillac(spl) of 9mm pistols.

maybe this one by fn?

That or a kimber/1911 copy.

I'm looking forward to your demo because your last demo was inspiring! I played that and was very motivated by it. You are a clever scripted. That for sure.
Btw, did you get the pm I sent you about the ai project I was working on?
1 wrote:

2 wrote:

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Thanks!

The pistol is a Colt Double Eagle.

Btw, did you get the pm I sent you about the ai project I was working on?
Oh ya, I had totally forgotten about it. I remember I read it but forgot to answer. I think the idea would work but if you added more weapons it would become really complex. I don't have much time at the moment so I'll PM you later. Like in a week. Or two weeks. I'm slow at these things. :D
fps

Post by fps »

The pistol is a Colt Double Eagle.
HA! oh wow, your right!
well of course you are, you made it. but that totally clicked just as i read the words.
Bit of an obscure pistol tho :?
Why did you choose it?
1 wrote:

2 wrote:

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

WEEEEEEEEHOOOOOOO! It's finally over. I got out of the army. :D

Now I'm gonna take a while to get used to my normal life again and start working on Nirhis again. Man I'm happy right now! :mrgreen:

Why did you choose it?
Well, I've owned an airsoft version of it since I was a kid and somehow I just like the way it looks. Also, I didn't want to go with the usual pistols, such as the Glock, Socom etc.
Sorington

Post by Sorington »

very nice the pistol :D
Greetings, Sorington