RF 2 Discussion

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

Does rf2 in fact have multiplayer yet?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
jonas

Post by jonas »

I would find it highly unlikely for him to have multiplayer before rf2 even has actors, projectiles, and ect...
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Jonas is correct.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

:oops: my bad :oops: :oops:
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Andy, I have a few questions about RF2 which might be answered elsewhere so I'm sorry to repeat questions if I do.

How much of a game will be able to be manipulated by scripts?
What I mean by this is, could I write a script that can deform an objects polygon structure? Or write a script that can spawn objects? I know the current version of RF has to have every object in the level before it is executed, but I would like to be able to spawn objects, for special effects such as custom rain/snow/etc... Also, how much of an actor can be modified with scripts?

I'm sorry if you have already covered this elsewhere, but will RF2 have built in physics? And if so, more advanced physics than RF1 that has physics?

And lastly, (this is almost a personal request so if you can't do this, it's fine) could you post when RF2 is able to load objects and use custom python scripts? For my game I will be using a scripted player and all of my questions here will determine my course of action for character creation and whatnot. The level of scripting that I need to make characters is a simple spawn objects and attach them to other objects or bones. I could create the characters now in the current RF but then I would have to rewrite all the scripts for RF2, so being able to start in RF2 would be nice.

Thank you very much Andy for taking on RF2! My thanks are not enough for what you are doing.
Also, thank you to all who are helping with RF2!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Thank you very much Andy for taking on RF2! My thanks are not enough for what you are doing.
Also, thank you to all who are helping with RF2
I would like to echo that remark. It must be a very daunting task to take on that much work alone. I wish I could help but I just don't have the skills or the time.
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

I would like to echo that remark. It must be a very daunting task to take on that much work alone. I wish I could help but I just don't have the skills or the time
Same here Bernie.

But I can give you a trip in my time machine, and you can go back and fiddle with Nero as Rome burned. LOL

You know what I mean.......
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Thanks for the offer but I'll stick with the Pub session for now LOL.
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

You must post a recording of one of your session on the site so we can all injoy the trad with a nice pint of the black stuff at home.

Sorry Andy. You could have a strong cup of tea or coffie with out milk in it.

Ps any more news on the hand and RF2.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Sorry ardencrest but I can't upload. Can't get broadband in the wild west you know (not even radio 'cos of the hills around my townland) and too far from the exchange even if it was enabled (which it isn't). I have one way satelite for download at 1meg but upload at 28k is a pain in the youknowwhat. It's ok for you Dubs but we will have to wait for the 22nd century unless I can borrow your time machine.
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

i've not seen or heard from andy for a while.....if he isn't there....we may have to take this up ourslves....good thing he released the code, so we could do that if needs be.

another side issue------
I have a problem with Ogre-based engines.Graphically---they are danged good.The problem is with ogre's internal model format.We'd have to use Blender and some crazy kind of linux-like process to get models into it.

That's not conducive to RF's premise: an easy to use, easy to understand game engine.Above everything else, that has to stay that way .

For instance....Some of you know full well that I'm not a noob at this stuff, but for the life of me, I can't get models into that NeoAxis engine at all.

and it's interface.....i don't like the "listbox" approach to it.yeah, that may give the user a bit more info compared to a fully graphical interface....but as i said before it's not easy.

So, a few things : Keep it easy.If you use Python, keep it hidden, i.e. have all python commands accessible from an interface similar to RFEDITPRO's.And , if we have to, find another graphics engine.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

I think the problems are with neoaxis NOT the Ogre engine. I'm sure Andy knows he can build the editor the same way or very similar to the present RFeditpro.
I did manage to get models into neoaxis from milkshape using the exporter provided but can't get any animation to work. The axes are all wrong in neoaxis 90degs in two directions in fact and if there is a skeleton the uvs are all screwed up.
The Ogre engine works in dungeon hack ok. I don't think there will be a problem with RF2 but Andy is that guy to answer that one.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

You must post a recording of one of your session on the site so we can all injoy the trad with a nice pint of the black stuff at home.
Not a bad idea, actually.
i've not seen or heard from andy for a while.....if he isn't there....we may have to take this up ourslves....good thing he released the code, so we could do that if needs be.
No, I'm here, I'm just on a long trip and left so unexpectedly I didn't have time to make a post about it. Sorry about that. Never knew how rare hotspots were, especially in Maine. :x
another side issue------
I have a problem with Ogre-based engines.Graphically---they are danged good.The problem is with ogre's internal model format.We'd have to use Blender and some crazy kind of linux-like process to get models into it.

That's not conducive to RF's premise: an easy to use, easy to understand game engine.Above everything else, that has to stay that way .

For instance....Some of you know full well that I'm not a noob at this stuff, but for the life of me, I can't get models into that NeoAxis engine at all.
Yeah, I'm planning to wrap a GUI around it. Modeling program support is good, but the conversion process is indeed ugly. I'll fix that. :)
and it's interface.....i don't like the "listbox" approach to it.yeah, that may give the user a bit more info compared to a fully graphical interface....but as i said before it's not easy.
Haven't seen what you mean, but I'll probably take a look when I get a chance.
So, a few things : Keep it easy.
Yes, that is the plan.
GD1

Post by GD1 »

OGRE actually is a pretty good engine. i've been checking it out a lot lately because Psychopath is using it for ClockworkEngine now. The fact that it has it's own format is a downside... but Genesis is the same way. you pretty much HAVE TO HAVE MILKSHAPE if you are gonna do ANYTHING with RF, because nothing else really supports it that well. some people might say im wrong, but the truth is that Genesis is not that widely supported.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

true.check on the genesis3d forums, there was once gonna be a .act modeling program----called ReActor, the guy got it to where you could create working static .act format models...but then he dissappeared....