A new kind of RPG

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I read it. And I am also interested in hearing about your project! Also, I would like to play it when you are finished. So, keep working on your game!

I just reinstalled windows twice in the begining of June. First time was to get rid of "bit rot" which is caused by general use of a computer. It is basically just windows getting messy with the hard drive causing slow down. Anyway. I reinstalled windows succesfully, but then for an odd reason lost access to my DVD and CD drives. I did a system restore and windows corrupted itself, so then comes the second reinstall :roll: . It wasnt fun.. But my pc is working very good now. Nice and fast. I hope your reinstall goes/went better.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

See Juutis, I am not the only one who reads people's posts. :P

I think your project is going to be awesome to play!! To me it sounds like one of the most advance Reality Factory projects ever!! I don't think you'll off long because of re-doing windows. XP is a breeze to install. I've donr it perhaps 6 or 7 times. Including wiping the drive beforehand. Piece of cake!! It sounds to me as though you'll be releasing a demo early fall?? :wink: :wink:
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I think your project is going to be awesome to play!!
I've been working on the gameplay very much. I want the main character to be easy to control and not 'clumsy'. I really don't want my game to be one of those in which you die simply because the guy doesn't do what you tell him to do.
Like this: you are running forwards in a cave, when suddenly you spot a pit ahead of you. You stop pressing the 'forward' key but the main guy has to take one more step to finish his animation and THEN stop moving but it's too late.... the guy is already falling down to the pit.

As for the demo... I still got 3 weeks of my summer holiday left. Then it's time to head back to school. I'll be working on my game as much as I can in the next weeks but when the school starts it's gonna slow down a bit. I've got my last year of highschool (...or more like a weird finnish version of it) ahead of me... and it's gonna be the toughest year. So mainly I'll be working on this project on the weekends.
I'll release the demo as soon as possible... I really don't know how long it's going to take.
Pain is only psychological.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I've got my last year of highschool (...or more like a weird finnish version of it)
You have piqued my curiosity, my friend. What is weird about the Finnish version of a last year in high school?

So mainly I'll be working on this project on the weekends.
That's the time I have, and not much during the weekend, either. I try to put in a little time after my wife goes to work in the morning, but it's hard to tell my 4yr old son (or the other two, for that matter) no when they want you to come and do something with them. I love working on games and stuff for RF and programming and junk, but NOTHING takes prioty over my boys!! :D
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I've got my last year of highschool (...or more like a weird finnish version of it)
Oh, by this I didn't mean the year is weird... I meant that the finnish highschool is weird. Actually, it isn't exactly highschool, here in Finland we have a different education system and my current school is something like a mix of college and highschool. Well anyway, I'm gonna have a tough year and that's all. :D
but NOTHING takes prioty over my boys
And that's how it's supposed to be! When I get older and (hopefully) have kids, family is the number one. The most important thing. :P
steven8

Post by steven8 »

family is the number one. The most important thing.
You're a smart young man, Juutis. You just keep thinking that way.

I like the idea of school and college being intertwined in your senior year of high school. We all suffered through practically a total rehash of our senior year of high school in our first year of college! :? Yuck!
ScionWest

Post by ScionWest »

wow your project sounds pretty solid. I'm interested to see how it plays! can't wait for a demo. It's hard to find time to do something like that. keep up the good work!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I'm glad to hear so many people are interested in my project. Too bad I haven't been able to work on it in almost a week. I was supposed to format my hard drive last week but we had a LAN party with my friends and I didn't have time to format. So now I'll try to get my Windows reinstalled as soon as possible, I'll probably start tomorrow.

I've been thinking about the name for the game. I ended up calling it "Tale of a Peasant". I know, it's modest but it describes the story of the game perfectly. There's not going to be anything like saving the world or destroying any great evil powers. It's basically just a story of a farmer from a little village who meets the "big world" going through various adventures.

If anyone knows that a game called "Tale of a Peasant" already exists, please, let me know and I'll think of a new name. Also, if you have a better name in your mind, please do suggest it.
It's going to be a melee-combat centered RPG.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Well I just googled the words "Tale of a peasant" and I found a game from 1987 called "A Peasents Tale". So if you think its too similar then you can change it. I know how hard it is to name a game. I have had three names for mine. Anyway, just because you have a thread about your game progress doesnt mean you need to constantly have progress. If you need to, take a break. I half felt like I needed one the past few days.

Anyway, I hope the reinstall of windows is successful and smooth. One thing to note about reinstalling windows is that you will loose all fonts that are not standard in windows. I lost many fonts when I reinstalled. The ones I cant think of are Square 721 Extended BT, Microstyle Bold Extended, and Weathered SF. It was a bit unnerving to loose square 721 because that is a very important font for my game project. It took me a day or so of searching the net to find it for free. Same with Microstyle Bold Extended. So I suggest you back up the fonts folder. If your hard drive is called "C" it will be found at C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

I used windows live onecare 90 day trial to back everything up and reinstall it and it missed the font folder and ALL FILES SAVED IN PROGRAM FOLDERS. So if you have pictures saved in the programs folder and not elsewhere, the files will be skipped. I dont know about any other back up utility out there and if there is one that gets truely everything, so be safe and be sure to make backups of anything important. Also, make sure that the back up disks are readable before you reinstall windows. I know one other user*sorry I cant remember your name* just posted about their disks being corrupted and found that out AFTER a reinstall. So they ended up losing alot of important files.

Good Luck!

EDIT: I almost forgot! If you are not sure about if a name is already taken, just google search it. Its the best way to see if somthing already exists.
Last edited by MakerOfGames on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Wow, I didn't know that thing about the fonts... thanks. I will absolutely backup them.

I don't think the backupping will cause any problems... I have two computers and I'll just copy the files I need to the other and format this.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Alright. I just needed to make sure that you didnt learn the hard way about fonts and possibly other files like I did. I knew from a friend that it would not back up files in program folders so I was able to keep all of them. I only lost fonts. Just remember, once the hard drive is refortmatted, there is no way to retrive that data. So be sure to get everything! I would hate to hear another horror story of reinstalling windows.
Think outside the box.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Steven8 wrote:XP is a breeze to install
Wow, you are SO correct! The hardest part was the backupping. :D
The actual installing and updating took only a few hours. Now I'll just install MilkShape and get back to work.
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

in regards to a few pages ago...

if your looking for additional trees do a search fro treemajik? (sp) or something to that nature....

it generates random trees for you and exports to .3ds then you can specify bark and leaf textures too.

.....sorry don't have an but i'll look around for you and see what i can dig up...
[EDIT]
found some tree linky's.....unfortunately it appears the free tree magik is no-more

but i found Arbaro......haven't tested it yet so goodluck but hey it's free it writes to DXF and OBJ all of which are importable via milk shape,
as i say i have not used it yet

http://arbaro.sourceforge.net/ < information about

http://sourceforge.net/projects/arbaro/ < download

you game idea sounds great! good luck.
and I found a game from 1987 called "A Peasents Tale".
go to http://www.homestarrunner.com > under games look for pesants quest...Bwhaha very cool.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I'm glad it went well. I actually enjoying redoing computers since XP. I've redone about 6 different computers for people this year. :lol:
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I am glad everything went well. Any new news on your game Juutis?
Think outside the box.