MakerOfGames Game Thread [*56K WARNING*]

Discuss any other topics here
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I think it sounds like I want the paycheck the writing the User's Handbook for this game. I may be able to retire on it. :lol:

Serious Sam is the same way. The user can carry like 14 weapons. I'm talking not just rocket launchers, but huge laser cannons and a REAL cannon which fires like 6' cannonballs. Quite unrealistic.

Now, your player just 'has to lose a weapon'. Then we have to find another one of the same thing somewhere else if we want one, or is it possible to have the weapon left in that position to go pick it up if we can?
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

steven8 wrote:I think it sounds like I want the paycheck the writing the User's Handbook for this game. I may be able to retire on it. :lol:
Maybe I am too tired because its about 11:52 PM for me right now but I don't understand what you mean by that. steven8. Sorry!
steven8 wrote:Now, your player just 'has to lose a weapon'. Then we have to find another one of the same thing somewhere else if we want one, or is it possible to have the weapon left in that position to go pick it up if we can?
Yep! I plan to have all weapons be able to drop and pick up anytime. Also, I plan to have you be able to pick up enemy weapons and the weapons keep track of how much ammo they have so that you will see it isnt wise to swap out your fully loaded pistol for the machine gun that enemy just unloaded and now only has like 5 shots left. And your weapons will also be as smart. Cant have you drop a weapon and pick it back up and find it fully loaded! I am trying to make it just like a professional game.

OH, before I forget, you have been viewing one of my character sketches for my game ever since I uploaded my avatar.
Yeah, that is a cropped character sketch that has the "negative" photo effect appilied to it. I just thought I would let you know this hidden game content you have been viewing all along. So whats the whole character look like you ask? Well, I was all ready to post it but then I thought I would add a few things to it, like my games title. Don't worry it will show up in the near future. :wink:
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Just being a Smart-Alek, MoG. It's just that the inventory/weapon system is so complicated, the guy who writes the user manual so the player can understand, will take many hours - hence, a large paycheck. Pay me no mind, I have a horrific headache, and can't think too well myself. :?

I think your system is terrific! I especially like being able to pick up the enemy's weapon. Just great!!
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

steven8 wrote:Just being a Smart-Alek, MoG. It's just that the inventory/weapon system is so complicated, the guy who writes the user manual so the player can understand, will take many hours - hence, a large paycheck. Pay me no mind, I have a horrific headache, and can't think too well myself. :?
*laughs at the comment, (now I get it!)*
Very well put, it will be extreamly complicated. I think I might just need you to do that if I add anything else! :wink:
steven8 wrote:I think your system is terrific! I especially like being able to pick up the enemy's weapon. Just great!!

Thanks! I am trying to make everything work as it should. So if that means scripting guns to be selfaware of ammo, so be it! Now, I think I know of a way to have all guns run the same script!!! It will use switch case and find out what gun it is and thus what attributes to give itself. If looking at the name of its actor is possible for pawns my idea will work perfectly. The switch case would say: What gun am I? (looks at actorfile) Oh actor is called Magnum, so clips = 5 Shots per clip = 6 etc.. The clips and shots per slips would be attributes of the pawn. I need to think more about it. Sounds good in theory if nothing else. :P
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I forgot to mention, MoG, that I have wondered about your avatar for some time. I always wondered if it were your own work. I think it looks cool. Very Halo. I can't wait to see some of your concept art, being an artist by trade myself.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

On the last page, Jay wrote:You could make, like U = usekey, I = Inventory and then O = Other weapon
I don't think that U as usekey will work. It's just too far away from the movement keys (E,S,D,F).

By the way, I prefer WASD for movement. That's probably harder to use in your game since you have so many actions that require different keys. I'm just used to move with WASD keys, E is my action key, R reloads, space for jumping and CTRL for crouching.
Maybe it would be possible to use the keys Z,X,C and F for zooming and weapon changing and Q for picking up weapons.

The weapon pickup/drop system sounds cool. You'll have to insert a lot of pawns to each level, though... and you're gonna have to put some time and effort to it. I'll talk more about the possible problems when we get to the scripting part.
But I think that in the end it will certainly pay off.

Very nice looking avatar, I've been wondering too if it were made by you.
Pain is only psychological.
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

MakerOfGames wrote:I see your points I am very glad you have voiced your opinion! However, I think that system restricts the player too much only being able to carry one large weapon and two small single handed weapons.
That's not what i meant. I meant that the player CAN carry more than just those three, BUT he can not exchange weapons between inventory and the three 'slots' when he is fighting. But he can press a key and then switch from the big one to the guns and back.

EDIT: So he has to think before the fight.

However, i like your system with the weapon sizes so that the player cannot carry everything he finds.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

@comments on my avatar:
Thank you! I will have to scan more of my games artwork onto my pc and uplaod it sometime.

@Jay
Oh, ok, I am sorry I misunderstood you. Nice ideas there, but not what I want at the end of the day.

@Juutis
I understand how WASD has been made an industry standard for firstperson shooters. However, I am very fond of my layout because of the ease your hand fits on the keys. I will have to think about changing it. I know its hard to break video game controler use habbits. I find it hard to play super smash brothers after playing soul calibur because of the extreamly different controls. So, I will seriously give the controls more thought, but I think the current configuration works best.
Think outside the box.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I will seriously give the controls more thought, but I think the current configuration works best.
Do as you wish. It's your game, after all. :D
The bad thing about scripted players is that there is only one key layout, the user can't customize the controls.

But, people are flexible (even more flexible than RF!!! :wink:) and I'm sure most of us are more than happy with those keys.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Juutis wrote: Do as you wish. It's your game, after all. :D
The bad thing about scripted players is that there is only one key layout, the user can't customize the controls.

But, people are flexible (even more flexible than RF!!! :wink:) and I'm sure most of us are more than happy with those keys.
Hey, I could make my controler script and then write up another one the way you like it and have an option to switch configurations like on console games. That would be an easy fix, only would have to change the key numbers in the player script. Ok, so how about I make my script and get everything working, then once everything works right, we can mod the script and make a second control configuration?
Think outside the box.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Great idea! that sounds perfect!!! :D
psYco

Post by psYco »

:shock: Wow just read through the whole thread and just love the idea heck I love everything :lol: ! Oh just one crit I had, well just a bit of advice, Get the game and all the main features finished before you start with some thing like smart weapons that remember if they were loaded or not, you know? :) And I would love to help, any way I can soem scripting, lowpoly modelling and especially animation!

Oh and I was just thinking if your putting this much time into this you should realy considder eventually getting published, and look around no games nowdays look like HL1 or Halo, yes they were great but its been out dated! This is where cell shading if done rite, can be very stylish and VERY modern, I mean look at games like XIII, (google image it) it was released last year and it had great cell shading and it was sold in stores world wide it was a great game!

So mabey, it could be the answer for a developer like you with great drive and ideas but mabey not the abillity to otherwise compete graphically with modern titles...

Thats just me though!
:D Keep up the great work it sounds GREAT!!! :D
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Thank you very much psYco!
psYco wrote:Oh just one crit I had, well just a bit of advice, Get the game and all the main features finished before you start with some thing like smart weapons that remember if they were loaded or not, you know? :)
Well, that is a main feature of the game. Without the weapons keeping track of there bullets it would kill the "feel" I am going for. As it is now(without scripting yourself), RF is just pick up a weapon and its fully loaded. You cant drop weapons or pick up weapons from enemies. Being able to pick up used enemies weapons and drop your own is a very important part of my idea. I want to bring a revolution to the style of games that RF has made. As I have said before, I am going to make the game be the way professional game designers should make games. Now I do realize that I will be pushing RF to its max in its current state. The good thing is though, that I plan to finish the game over a year from now. So that leaves alot of time for improvement in RF (I am hoping that HardwareTnL will be implimented in RF before my games launch around 2008 as I see it now. Maybe RF2 will be done when my game is nearing completion and I can convert it over.) Anyway, I will keep with my current set of ideas and features and hope for the best.

I know 2008 seems like a long ways away, but I will stick with this project untill its completed. I am glad people are interested, I just hope they will watch my progress or keep this game in the back of their mind untill that day far far away when I will upload the massive game file.

Thank you very much for your interest and offer for help psYco! I will ask you for help when I need it. I am glad I have now 3 people backing me completely with help. :D (steven8, Juutis, psYco)
I must remind everyone that this is a personal project. As of now, I will not be asking for level designers, or modelers. I am sorry to those who wished to contribute in that manner. I will need alot of help with scripting when the time comes.

I currently have no news updates about my game. I have been taking a break from it. My mind was a little fried from pushing myself for a few weeks in the end of July and the begining of August. I will be either finishing my one character in 3D or just start discussing inventory scripting as my next step.
Think outside the box.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

psYco wrote:Oh just one crit I had, well just a bit of advice, Get the game and all the main features finished before you start with some thing like smart weapons that remember if they were loaded or not, you know?
In addition to what MoG said. If he would build the 'main features' (something like the scripted player, some basic weapon system for all weapons and stuff like that) first, it would be hell to make the weapons keep track of ammo afterwards. Almost every major script would probably need some modifications. So it's much wiser to script those advanced things as soon as possible.
MoG wrote:I currently have no news updates about my game. I have been taking a break from it. My mind was a little fried from pushing myself for a few weeks in the end of July and the begining of August.
Taking breaks is important when making games. It's not going to work if you have to force yourself to work on a game every time. Of course, sometimes you have to do it, but if it happens often, it's time for a break. I've had this problem too, after long modeling/scripting sprees, and taking some time off really helps. It's good to switch your brain off every once in a while.
psYco

Post by psYco »

Bty MoG I tottally agree with you on the ''personal project thing'' when you make everything yourself it just feels sooooo much better when you play it! And any way Im starting my own project about now, (just finnished my last big one School of the Dead, im looking to get permission frm QoD to have it hosted here :D but he seems not to have viewed the post yet, :( )

And with the ''Smart guns that know when they are loaded I didnt mean how much ammo was in, that you need to do when you script the weapons, Just when you said ''check if the weapons are loaded'' I thought you were talking details like if the gun was cocked and how much was left in the clip? is there a round in the chamber etc.

Oh and sorry to go on in YOUR thread :oops: but if some one could explain to me how cell shading is done, or point me in the direction of a tute on it. I know what it is and I love it! (have you seen the new team fortress 2 trailer frm valve, the cell shading there WOW :shock: ) And Ive always had this dream of making a realy dark, satire, black, white, grey and :twisted: red :twisted: cell shaded adventure game! (not adventure like point and click, adventure like 3D hard as nails action :twisted: with hard as hell :?: :?: puzzles :?: :?: :idea: !