RF and physics

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
wxb1
RF Dev Team

Very good work nout!

Post by wxb1 »

Excellent... this is very exciting!
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

I've send 3 other videos (one with shooting) to Daniel
You will also see that things are not yet perfect ...
....hey quest when you have time, can we get a link to these video's I don't like to bug you, as i know you're busy getting everything together from the site transistion-whatnot, but Physics are really important to me, and im itching to see these in action!

cool thanks dude,
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

sorry for the delay but I only got the files yesterday (my old email account didn't have enough space and so I had to wait for nout to resend me the videos to my new mail adress :| )
however, here they are:
Attachments
Physics2.zip
(4.72 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

sorry for the delay but I only got the files yesterday (my old email account didn't have enough space and so I had to wait for nout to resend me the videos to my new mail adress )
however, here they are:
nothing to be sorry about, jus thought you might have missed thats all, I appreciate everything your doing Quest, thanks heaps for those they were worth waiting for and don't wanna bug you :)

as for the physics, they are so way cool!
we can have cloth simulation, ragdolls, push-able, crates, These look SOO Great!!

Can't wait to get these, as i have a character who has a trench coat, this looks all too rediculous when animating in the current way,(attaching it to the leg bones)but having able to billow out when he is running will be so much better! and as for being able to do ragdolls, this just goes beyond mental!

With these physics this will help users create sports games as a possibility it looks like it will be much more easier to impleemnt as well, instead of having to pre-program all the physics by current scripting techniques(federico has proven it's possible) Instead of taking every possible action into account....seemed too daunting for me at least, (10 lines would make the transistions all to sweet)as for sports games soccer, golf, football, rugby, tennis, this list could go on and on.... I've always wanted to make a golf game...now maybe i can

Thanks Nout keeps us posted this is shaping up to be an enhancement as great as when scripting was introduced, it's gonna take our game to a completely different level!
GD1

Post by GD1 »

this is great!

is it possible to break joints by shooting them yet? say we wanted to shoot out the ropes that suspended a bridge to make it fall?
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
Dreben

Post by Dreben »

Okay, that's cool, are physics and that scripted HUD ... thingy included in the new 0.72 update?
This message won't self-destruct. The initiative is yours.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

dont know about the hud, but physics isn't... it might be in the upcoming 075 release though...
Nout

physics

Post by Nout »

A PysicsForce entity is added + works.
It enable you to position an object and place a force on it.
Eg if you want to launch a granade or so..., or let a ball fall etc...
No scripting is needed for this

Breakable geomerty is supported, but needs still to be tested

Breakable joints are not yet support. All is set up for it, but needs some extra code for the collission call backs. It's sure on my todo list

Another important thing to add: the player is not yet part of the physics system
Dreben

Post by Dreben »

Lol, I found RF 0.71 and installed it just a couple of days before 0.72 came out, maybe I'm just going to wait until 0.75 to update.
This message won't self-destruct. The initiative is yours.
Nout

Physics

Post by Nout »

Some more news:
- It's now possible to shoot on a chain of bodies and "break" the chain in pieces.

- For special case, it's also possible to "glue" a bloken chain again (in slow motion)

- You also can "break" a chain by approaching, or by pressing a key, or by a trigger + specify which joint to break.

For all this, no coding/scripting is needed. All is processed for you and works by just adding 1 entity !
GD1

Post by GD1 »

this is great! im really impressed :) this opens up the door to all kinds of new possbilities.

one quick question: i know fluid physics aren't in yet, but is it possble to make an object float? like say, a boat, or a floating piece of wood?
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
Nout

Post by Nout »

If it's just to have the body partly sinking into the water, then you could "simulate" this by making the bounding box shrinking a bit when touching water. This is faily simple to realize.

If you talk about also applying the water forces on your object etc..., no today it's not part of the physics engine.
But it's under development, and I already saw a question raised like this, so maybe it will be added in the future?
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

For special case, it's also possible to "glue" a bloken chain again (in slow motion)
So technically you can 'sticky' object's or stack a chain together? i like this possibility but what is a real world example be ....just a bit confused on what this feature would entail,
Breakable geomerty is supported, but needs still to be tested
Now that's cool i wanna have breakable buldings for my game so this be be a big plus!
Nout

Post by Nout »

There are 2 things to differentiate

You can "connect" rigid bodies by joints. This method does not guarantee that the bodies indeed are and stay connected.
These joints are the result of a physics simulator who calculates the positions using the physics constratints, but also the constrainints of the joints, and the solution might not always be so ideal as we hope. If the solution shows an error, it will take additional simulation steps (say frames) to get the error minimized again.
What is addedn not is that bodies, connected by joints can be "disconnected" again by shooting etc...

A second way of connecting bodies is by adding geometrie to the body. This geometrie is not part of the simulator, but will keep a fixed position and rotation relative to the body it is assigned to. Also for these "extended" bodies it is possible to break it, but this code was not yet tested. The last option should work for your house.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Spyrewolf wrote:So technically you can 'sticky' object's or stack a chain together? i like this possibility but what is a real world example be ....just a bit confused on what this feature would entail,

picture this: you have to connect two chains holding a bridge up and then walk over it, it creaking and sagging all the way, while hoping an enemy dosent see you and shoot the chain, sending you tumbling forever...