Poll ended at Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:33 am

Wikis Default (HTML)
30%
PDF
70%

Total votes: 10

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Ok, so it seems that no one knows who wrote the docs, then they will have to be rewritten with better explainantion. No big deal.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

The docs were written by several different people, including Mike Wuetherick, Ralph Dean, Alan Troup, me and quite a few other people. Open source or whatever this should fall under doesn't mean that there's no copyright on the material, however I'm pretty sure that none of the authors would mind if you copy text from the docs as long as you don't make any money of it (i.e. writing a book and selling it).
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Unless we get permission from the authors for their content I would rather play it safe and just rewrite it. Of course the wikibook could just tell readers to read a certain section of the RF docs. Do we really need all the content from the docs into this book?

Question for everyone:
What content do we want to be in this book?
Do we want it to contain all RF information or just be a collection of tutorials and general info compiled by the community?

Please respond to the above questions, whether you plan to help write a part of the book or not.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Robin

Post by Robin »

MakerOfGames wrote:Do we want it to contain all RF information or just be a collection of tutorials and general info compiled by the community?
Both of course.
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

I think both rf info and tuts would be helpful. The info is supplemented by tuts showing the info being used.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

same here. maybe a book as a startup guide and then an appendix with tips and tricks, or several appendacies with various kinds of tips and tricks (modeling, level design, etc)
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

This topic has been silent for awhile but I post with positive news. Two chapters are "finished"(out of 16 that I plan to write). I say "finished" with quotes becasue they need to be revised yet. They total a massive three pages in microsoft word using standard times new roman font in size 12.

I have been very busy and havent had a chance to work on it so thats the best I have for now. Dont forget that the table of contents is finished as well. I am also trying to find time to work on my own game in RF! Ah, its nice to have a hobby that consumes you. :wink:
Think outside the box.
jonas

Post by jonas »

ok we are going to want to include the book in new rf updates right?
If so we need to probably make it a pdf. We could still put all of it in a wiki.

Which chapters did you do, so i'll know which not to start on?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

MakerOfGames wrote:

Code: Select all

The Guide

Preface	Notes from the Authors
Chap 1	Introduction
Chap 2	What Is Reality Factory?
Chap 3	Before You Start
Chap 4	3D Authoring Software
Chap 5	2D Painting Software
Chap 6	The Basics
Chap 7	Sounds
Chap 8	Creating Worlds
Chap 9	Scripting
Chap 10	Now What?
Chap 11	Game Design Overview
Chap 12	Game Play
Chap 13	Level Design Tips
Chap 14	Story and Plot
Chap 15	Story vs. Game Play

Code: Select all

RF How To’s
Chap 16	Scripted Player
Chap 17	Level of Detail
Chap 18	Particle Effects and Rain
Chap 19	Fog
Chap 20	Advanced Lighting
Chap 21	Bump Mapping
Chap 22	Shininess, Mirrors, and Glass
Chap 23	Physics
Out of these chapters I have completed chapter 1 and 2, Intro and What is RF. I dont have the software to make a pdf so I will have to keep all of my work in word.

Which chapters are you going to work on, jonas?
This goes for anyone else also, let us know what your writting so we dont do extra work and waste time.
Think outside the box.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Free PDF virtual printer driver. You can create PDF's from word. Just click "Print" and it will come up as a printer you can select. It works very good.

http://www.pdf995.com/
jonas

Post by jonas »

Ah thanks! That would be better then trying to use adobes trail pdf builder thing.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
jonas

Post by jonas »

Which one should I do?
Jonas

Robin

Post by Robin »

How is it going? I think you should upload it now. Even if it's very basic it can still teach me.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Which one should I do?
What do you mean? Do you mean of the PDF995? Download all the packages and install them.

They work together for creating, editing and security.

If that's not what you meant, disregard this reply. :lol:
jonas

Post by jonas »

lol I meant chapters of the book. I already have a pdf writer plus I downloaded and now have mandriva which has a free pdf writer that comes with it. :D Is that the exact lay we are going to use? Are we going to do the appendix thing? If someone would just give me a chapter to do that you think i'm good at i would appreciate it, because I have no clue which one to do.
Jonas