RF and physics

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Will this sytem support actors and their bones?
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Nout

Post by Nout »

Theoretically, you could create an actor from different body parts and joints + apply physics on it
A rigidBodyController opens the possibilities to apply the physic forces
The difficulty will be to find the correct forces to let the actor move

So realistic speaking, not in the first release
Master

Post by Master »

Geez Nout wat will u come up with next. Physics is a huge leap foward for RF. Soon multiplay and hardware t & l...RF's possiblities are limitless.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Ok, thats cool. I was thinkin about not making full skinned character meshes and making each part of the character seperate like in early N64 and PS1 games, this would then allow me to make rag doll in the first release right? Keep up the great work! :D
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Nout

Post by Nout »

Yes, ragdolls should be possible
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Nice! Keep up the great work Nout!
Think outside the box.

Post by Guest »

A static body was added tothe physics code that allows to have collision with physic actors and motion supported by RF (and not by the physics engine). For example the player is defined as a static body (so if a ball hits him, collision will appear, but no motion)

I've also renewed part of the physics code to make it more modular
New features added:
- Sensors are added and in debugging phase
- The PhysicsForce entity was enhanced with a few additional trigger features, like timmed trigger, distance to a pawn, key pressed, rigidbody shot and a few more. You can also use the entity outside the physics system to trigger any event
- Shooting was updated and supports now free definition which joint you want to break when a body is shot
- For debugging purposes, the physics system's BBOXes can be visualized (without rotation though...)
- Added a few more physics script commands like extend rigid bodies with additonal geometry, break a joint, add a static body, return sensor data etc...

I'm now working on a PhysicsVehicle entity (a universal car entity)
The idea is that you just assign actors for the car body and the car wheels, that you assign the relative positions where the wheels have to fit the car body and that you define the keys by which you want to control the car. All other things will be done by the PhysicsVehicle entity for you.
NolanK

Post by NolanK »

So how are the physics coming along Nout?

Haven't heard from you in a couple of weeks.
All your base are belong to us.
Nout

Post by Nout »

I've still some troubles to get the vehicle entity working, and this is a must-have part before releasing the code
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

Scuse me Nout, but i can't resist...i'm curious. :D
Keep us informated about your troubles!
Nout

Post by Nout »

Here is a list of things that work:
- Sensors are implemented and working (For ray casting)
- Motors are implemented and working (For automatocally rotating something)
- 2 joints are implemented (hinge + ball/socket)
- You can extend physical bodies to create more complex shapes
- You can create a chain of boxes and "hang" it
- You can shoot the chain in parts
- You can shoot on bodies and they will fly around
- You can make an object to fall, bounce, lift, move, accellarate, rotate etc...
- You can script a lot of physics
eg, a wall of boxes, a ragdoll, a chain etc...
The scripting is very flexible and you can read in and connect different objects by joints, add sensors, add motor, add geometry, break joints etc...
In the pawn scripting, you can place force, torque, velocity etc...

Quite a lot of things start to work, but still a list of things that are not ready:
- Vehicle: got it finally working reasonable, but it's not flexible enough to build different cars, not scalable etc... => I'm now resolving this
- Player: the player can not (yet?) walk over physical bodies, nor he can "fly" together with a physical body
- Breaking multi-body physic geometry is not yet implemented, I started on this
- The same for collision callback, that is started on that
- Models are read as fixed geometry for physics, while it should be animated geometry. I need to find a way to read models and all the remaining brushes separate => I need help to get this solved
- I still have 1 issue in rotation: the Y-axis rotation is plus and minus 180d instead of 360d. I need help to get this solved
- Water is considered as a wall by the physics system. I need help to find out how I can detect that a model is "empty" => I need help to get this solved

Any support on the last itmes is more then welcome
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

I'm very happy to know that you are planning the beta release. However my curiousness has no limit. Which are the types of joints that the Tokamak physic supports? In outher words, does this car have the suspensions?
Nout

Post by Nout »

The car sure has suspension, but today it's not yet well working. I need some more time to fine tune the code

Basically any joint can be programmed, as Tokamak allows callbacks for Joints (so you can define yourself what behaviour you want)
Without coding, using the physic entities, hinge and ball-in-socket are supported. Slider should be possible aswell, but did not try it out yet
Nout

Post by Nout »

The alpha release for RF with physics was uploaded

I'm not sure if it is accessable for others
QuestOfDreams, can you check this, and when needed make it accessable

The complete zip is quite big: 30MEG
It includes Docs, a compiled RF, the complete Tokamak engine with examples, tools etc..., 4 small RFphysics demo's and basic documentation for all new RF features, including physics

Please read the README.txt file first
I hope this will give you a better understanding on how Tokamak works together with RF

Once more, this is an APLHA release and it will sometimes crash
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

ehm...:roll: QoD? Are you there?