Juutis' game thread!!! (Nirhis)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

dude! why is everzone progressing fasta than me?

anyway, the deagle is a lizard beagle ö

some really wierd scifi weaps in there
Herp derp.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Thanks guys.

Added a screenshot of the textured rocket launcher and polygon counts for each weapon.

anyway, the deagle is a lizard beagle
Yap, that was the easiest one, I guess. :)
Pain is only psychological.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

i just played your demo again,and noticed that at the start,or for that matter anywhere,when you shoot someone,and only hit the edge of the bounding box,the bullet decal will sometimes stick out,attached to nothhing.

I suggest you make the decal to be sized to only just fit around the black hole of the decal,and perhaps make the bounding box smaller.i blelieve RF also has a bounding boxcommand to make it hug the character?or was that too buggy?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Yeah, that's a tricky problem. I don't think pawns can have any other kind of collision detection than the bounding box. And if I made it smaller you wouldn't be able to hit the enemies' arms. :?
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

Juutis wrote:Yeah, that's a tricky problem. I don't think pawns can have any other kind of collision detection than the bounding box. And if I made it smaller you wouldn't be able to hit the enemies' arms. :?
yes but i dont like the enemies arms.............
Herp derp.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

:roll:

but what about the polygon bounding box thing? doesnt RF have that?cos i thought it did,mebbe not though.
True story.
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

zany_001 wrote::roll:

but what about the polygon bounding box thing? doesnt RF have that?cos i thought it did,mebbe not though.
why u roll ur eye?
and the per poly box is only for staticmodels
Herp derp.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

cos you dont like the arms

pity.
True story.
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

zany_001 wrote:cos you dont like the arms

pity.
but the arms are useless. i can go thru an entire day without using my arms
Herp derp.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

and you would probably be put in the guiness world book, or more like ripleys believe it or not.
BUT, you wouldnt be able to do much on the computer.
True story.
Destron

Post by Destron »

Hey Juutis - I like your game so far.
A few beefs:

1. Why the inventory system? I think it's kind of useless, personally. Wouldn't it just be easier to bind the weapons to the number keys?
2. I noticed several un-openable doors. Maybe you haven't gotten this far yet, but I would suggest incorporating some kind of lock sound when you run up to them.
3. Maybe it's the style of your game, but IMO the hudguns are too thin. I would suggest a little model scaling.

Good work so far. :)
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Thanks. The inventory system is because there will be 19 weapons in total (you can see them all in the first post). There wouldn't be enough number keys, unless I made it like in Half-Life. Anyway, I try to avoid the usual weapon system where you can swap to any weapon incredibly fast. This way you can't empty a magazine with an assault rifle and then instantly swap to a rocket launcher, after which its time for a sniper rifle, etc et...

I want to force the player to decide which weapons (s)he wants to use and then stick to them for the duration of a firefight. I think it adds a little tactical element, like the player has to think "hmm, if I put a sniper rifle in the primary slot and Ingrams in the secondary slots, I'll be able to snipe enemies further away and take out any enemies that get near me with the Ingrams. But what if I encounter a HUGE robot? I'll need something explosive...." or something like that. And another reason is that dual wielding would be tricky to make if you had to choose the weapons with the number keys.

Thanks for the sound idea for the doors! I'll be sure to do that for the levels in the final game. Though it won't have as many locked doors, the level in the demo just seemed so empty so I decided to add doors and crates everywhere (yeah, that's some really bad level design). :)

And yeah, some of the weapons are weird looking. I've scaled some of the weapons up a bit and moved them to a better place in the screen. Remember that most of the content in the demo is over a year old already. :wink:
Destron

Post by Destron »

OK, I just played your game again and have some more stuff to say. 8)

Sounds and 'impact':

Art:
Your muzzle flashes need to be bigger, with more white in the center. If you ideas, look at games that lean toward being more realistic, like Rainbow Six or Call of Duty.
The gun recoil are pretty good. I have nothing to say about that. ;)

Sound:
I don't mean to be rude, but the sounds really suck. :\
The footsteps are ok, but a little bit loud. Also, think about what your character is wearing. Does he have a lot of gear? does he have tennis shoes or boots on? Etc.
Your gunshot sound effects aren't so good. The pistol was the best. I found that the SMG gunshot was short and cut-off, like there should have been more there. And then there's the shotgun effect... it sounds almost as if you had recorded your voice saying "boom!". :?
Also, you're missing reloading sounds, which are important.

Other stuff:
The textures on most of your weapons are too dark, and don't show a lot of detail.
Is there a reason why it takes a second or two to pick up an item up? It kind of gets on my nerves... xD

Crosshair: The crosshair (including the health and armor stats), IMO, is WAY too big. I think you should lose the health and armor thing, or at least scale it down a bit.
Also, I think that maybe you should script the crosshair to scale down and your aim to be more accurate when you're crouching. That's something I really enjoy when playing FPSs.
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

zany_001 wrote:and you would probably be put in the guiness world book, or more like ripleys believe it or not.
BUT, you wouldnt be able to do much on the computer.
yes i can. im using the computer without arms rite nao AND modeling, using C# and python witout arms
Herp derp.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Thank you for the input, Destron. I'm glad to hear people are playing my demo. :)
Your muzzle flashes need to be bigger, with more white in the center. If you ideas, look at games that lean toward being more realistic, like Rainbow Six or Call of Duty.
I've reworked all the muzzle flashes already, but thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at those games when I have a chance.

I don't mean to be rude, but the sounds really suck.
The footsteps are ok, but a little bit loud. Also, think about what your character is wearing. Does he have a lot of gear? does he have tennis shoes or boots on? Etc.
Your gunshot sound effects aren't so good. The pistol was the best. I found that the SMG gunshot was short and cut-off, like there should have been more there. And then there's the shotgun effect... it sounds almost as if you had recorded your voice saying "boom!".
Also, you're missing reloading sounds, which are important.
Yeah, I know the sounds suck. :D
Actually they all are made with a cheap microphone (which actually broke down not long after I had finished recording) and my mouth. And yes, the shotgun sound IS me saying "boom!". I've downloaded loads of free sounds from the internet and mixed some better quality sounds now. Reload and arming sounds are on my to-do list. Thanks for the reminder, anyway.

Is there a reason why it takes a second or two to pick up an item up? It kind of gets on my nerves... xD
That's because the pickable items check every 0.5 seconds (instead of every frame) if the player is close enough. This is to increase the framerate.

Crosshair: The crosshair (including the health and armor stats), IMO, is WAY too big. I think you should lose the health and armor thing, or at least scale it down a bit.
Also, I think that maybe you should script the crosshair to scale down and your aim to be more accurate when you're crouching. That's something I really enjoy when playing FPSs.
I'm afraid that isn't quite possible with RF. The scripting commands don't allow to scale the pictures that are drawn on the screen so...