ITS MY BIRTHDAY!!!

Discuss any other topics here
jonas

ITS MY BIRTHDAY!!!

Post by jonas »

I just turned 16 to day. I got some more ram for my computer and a c++ book. Now when I can conquer the world of c++ full force. Maybe I can get good enough to start helping on the important stuff for rf2!

I just installed linux Mandriva, i'm having a bit of trouble getting the bootloader working.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
scott

Post by scott »

happy birthday

every one seems tou be youn gon this forum, im only 17 almost 18 but your about the third person i know whos now 16 on this forum
*GD*
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Happy birthday! :D
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Happy Birthday, Jonas!! I turned 16 yrs old 24 years ago, yet I actually remember it. :lol:
jonas

Post by jonas »

Thanks you all! I've been reading that book I got and I already understand classes like twice as much as before(which wasn't very much)
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
animatrix

Post by animatrix »

Happy Birthday :)
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

sorry late post........

Now YOU and Andy are old enough to drink TEA :twisted:

Have a good one
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.
jonas

Post by jonas »

lol I already drank tea!! :oops: Oh well I guess now I can drink it heavily? Now that you mention it tea actually sounds good about now.!
Jonas

psychopath

Post by psychopath »

"I just installed linux Mandriva, i'm having a bit of trouble getting the bootloader working."

Really? The Mandriva bootloader usually sets itself up automagically on the install. Whats the problem?
jonas

Post by jonas »

when I choose grub it gives me error 18 which is something to do with the bios and a partition being to big for it or something like that. Then lilo gives me L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 on and on for about 10 lines of them.
Jonas

Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I got error 18 too when I installed linux. I changed something in BIOS and it started working. If I remember correctly the error means that the GRUB isn't located in a certain area on the hard drive and BIOS doesn't load it in the startup. There should be some settings for hard drive type or something like that. Mess around with those thingies a bit and it should work.... or maybe you'll end up with a situation where the whole computer won't start. :D
Pain is only psychological.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I used to get the not located in the correct spot error, try reinstalling Linux and choosing a different option for where to locate the bootloader.

If that dosen't work, it might be your PC. I had an older PC that required linux to be within the first 8mb of the hard drive to boot. :?
jonas

Post by jonas »

@juutus Do you remember what? I was getting some help on http://www.mandrivausers.org when suddenly they the site disappeared.
[edit]
Its back up I'll get it solved soon.
Jonas