Light Leaks, how to prevent?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Fallen

Light Leaks, how to prevent?

Post by Fallen »

okay I am getting what I can only describe as light leaks. Areas where light seems to come through creases in my geometry that it shouldn't actually go through. Examples:

:arrow: Image 0
Here you can see the light from out side of my walls (blue spot light entity) leaking through the bottom of the wall and in the corner as well.

:arrow: Image 1
And here you can see the light (white light entity) from inside the room leaking under the door and through the crease of the door ... even though no physical gap actually exist in the geometry. It is leaking through the corner on the right as well ... took the screen shot as a "Car drove by".

this is bothersome due to the mood I am attempting to create with lighting ... does anyone know of a way to fix this?
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

I got it as well. I think it has something to do with the width of the walls. How wide are your's? I got this probelm only when the walls were 1 or 2 texels wide.
Last edited by Jay on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Yeah I thought the same thing as well initially. But my walls are all 16 thick, so ... hopefully that isn't the issue.
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

The Light leaks are a known bug of Genesis 3d, you can see
many more at
http://terrymorgan.net/download.htm -get the asylumdemo.exe 12MB,
and http://terrymorgan.net/asylum.htm- Asylum demo 2, 39MB,
also many tutorials demos, on how to do messages, etc.

RF FAQ-I just added the static thing to the message entity tutorial
http://terrymorgan.net/rffaq.zip
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I have to say the leaks are very unfortuanant. I havent gotten to making levels yet and havent experianced this myself. However, I think the light leaking from under a door looks really cool! It makes it look much more realistic because most doors do leak light. Anyway, take it for what its worth, I am just looking on the bright side(pun wasnt intentional).
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

Reducing the lightmap scale of the faces in question may help.
Coty

Post by Coty »

This may not apply to RF but I have had some experience with other editors. Try splitting the floor brush so the light won't hit the dark side floor, like split the floor brush in the dark room.

I also can't see your problem in the pics. I guess my screen is too dark, so I'm guessing your light maps are bleeding into the other (dark) room because the floor for both rooms is one brush. You see, a lightmap will cover the face of a brush in grid sizes. If the floor brush is split into two floors, and one floor is completely in a dark room, the lightmap from the other side shouldn't bleed into it, where, if both rooms were using one floor brush, the lightmap would bleed into the other room if the wall was too thin. Probably in your case, the door is too thin, or the door doesn't block light. Try splitting the floor brush at the door side facing the dark room.

Reducing the lightmap grid size is another option. I am guessing the default lMGS is 20 units. The walls are probably 16 units, and this usually works for most scenarios. But if the door is only 8 units wide, the lightmap would probably still bleed through unless you reduced the lightmap to an incredibly small grid size, which would add many more polys than splitting the floor. Actually, splitting the floor might even reduce the poly count.

... took the screen shot as a "Car drove by"...

This is trublesome. I don't think animated lights are computed in the LMGS. Check the light's properties for something like "clip Light: TRUE" maybe. Or some setting in the light's properties (or the door's properties) that could effect clipping through brushes, if after you split the floor it still happens.

hope this helps...