scripted player + scripted ragdoll Demo!!!

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
federico
RF Dev Team

scripted player + scripted ragdoll Demo!!!

Post by federico »

First I suggest you to download the RFwithPhysics demo of january and patch it with the ragdoll demo series that I created when I initially developped ragdolls.
you can find all the resources here:
http://realitychess.altervista.org/physics/
Next...
I have to stop my dev work for some time and I don't want to leave you waiting too much so I created a demo of my dev stage both on scripted player and ragdoll. Either are base on the huge use of scripts so don't expect anything too fast. I'm not a programmer even if I learned something surfing the RF source, so I develop by script and then I could start integrating the work in the source.
This RF version uses 075A with the Nout's Tokamak Physics integration and features several changes I made of the camera code and new pawn scripting. Currently my code is quite messy but I can provide the whole modifications soon. It's quite stable but I suggest to exit and relaunch Rf every time you want to restart to have the better performance.
The demo could be made better but it's better than nothing. The level is a reskinning of the demolevel contained in the QoD RF package (sorry QoD, I'm a terrible level designer...). The ragdoll collision should be faster and better (the arms expecially). The AI is completely rewritten so the enemy attacks choosing random actions but organized in sequences (to have something fluid, that's my aim) and patrols around reading the action to perform in the scriptpoint name.
The scripted player is quite close to my final idea. I feel quite happy of the jump system, it was always one of the main goal to have something like this. the pawn uses a motion system that allows only a movement never minor than a step. I implemented only the pistol. The player changes his torso and neck rotation thanks to the SetRelBoneRotation command by Nout that finally allows us to manipulate the bones by script (I simulated the firing recoil using this trick...).
The player can walk and run, standing or crouched. The enemy "feels" the presence of the player at different distances if he walks or run or is crouched.
You shoot the crates or the lamp in the central room.
I hope you enjoy.

I'm planning to release some resources to help you create actor ragdolls and the source animations.

Screens:
http://gallery.filefront.com/federicoRF/

Download:
http://hosted.filefront.com/federicoRF/
Last edited by federico on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

Filefront is down for maintenance or can't accept my upload for some reason. So currently I placed the demo here:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/34e29c/

please choose "Download for free with FileFactory Basic" and next "
Click here to begin your download ". I know isn't elegant, I will change this as soon as I can.
There is even a limitation so if the file isn't downloaded for a week it would be deleted( :evil: ). I hope you can enjoy the demo.
Last edited by federico on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I'll tell you what, Frederico, I think the ragdoll work is tremendous!! And I also love the car demo. I'd never seen that before. Terrific work! My boys played with the car demo for like an hour!!

:D
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

Finally filefront accepted my upload.
A stable download is provided here:
http://hosted.filefront.com/federicoRF/
wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker »

This is excellent-when will these things be available to other RF users for their games?

A tutorial on how to use your scripted player and physics should be included for those of us who are confused about everything...
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

About the physics.
I've released this demo for you. Just download it (by now at filefront no download yet!!!) and start play with the demo. Open the Readme!!! file and read. Open the Nout's doc and read carefully! That's all you have to know currently. The entities in the editor are quite buggy. I suggest you to focalize yourself on PhysicsScript. Nect we can think about tgheter and I can write some tut. Anyway it works as the pawnscript except for the fact that it has the Init Order (executed once at beginning) and the Start Order (executed every frame). Actually only the skydome script behaves in the same way.

About the scripted player.
Pick the player_down.s script in the script folder and re-use it. Do you want another player model? Ok go to fpbanana.com or hl2files.com and download another player model. Or grab the hl2 demo GCFscape and MDLdecompiler from Cannonfodder and grab the resources. Or even adapt your model to the ct3.act skeleton I used.
When you have a rigged character in milkshape with the ValveBiped skeleton compile it as an actor without animations. Next launch RFvfs.exe, "*.* select all files" in the file selector and then open your actor. Export the Body file at the root. Now, open the ct3.act file in the demo, delete the Body fie and "Add" the Body you have previously extracted. "Save as" with another name (choosing again "*.* select all files" in the file selector) using the .act extension. Now the new actor has the animations (naturally it works only if the skeletons match).
Open the Pawn.ini file and define another PawnType or change the actor for the currently used pawn.
scott

Post by scott »

when i started the game the first time it crashed so i then went to the video options and changed the driver to open GL, the demo worked but slow on frame rate.

i started on the roof and i can not see a possible way down without dieing, you loos health just by jumping on the spot so when he falls down the smallest gap he dies, the demo world looks exelent good desighn. but until i can move around cant say much about it.
*GD*
wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker »

All right I'll have to give that a try...and I'll see what I can do about different weapons...I'll talk to you about character switching and other things later.

Excellent demo...I had lots of fun shooting down the HL2 foes and watching my own character's natural body movements...did you make it so that there were different amounts of damage for different body parts I fired at? Because I think it took less hits to the head to kill them.
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil
psYco

Post by psYco »

OMFG!!!! the demo is the shiznit!!!!!!! Its all beautiful! Great levels best sky dome ive seen in RF AND!!! PHYSICS I LOVE PHYSICS ( :lol: whenever somthing even falls off a table and smashes on the floor I want to jump up and screem physics done that!!!! :lol: )

Just loved it! But just 1 question, how did you get the sky soo good! and how did you get such detailed level geometry to run soooo smoothly when ever I start to make my levels realy pretty adn detailed the engeien s---l----o----w------s d----o----w----n very badly! Is there a secret?

Oh and I just love it! :D And about that beautiful sky is there a tute on how to make sumink like that around? :)

:EDIT: oh and im with wackedoutbiker on the whole physics tute thing! If us n00bs (not you wackedoutbiker you sound like you know what ur saying) are going to be able to add :lol: PHYSICS :lol: to our games there eventuall needs to be a very dumbed down tute availible *eventualy* well at least for me to use the :lol: PHYSICS :lol:! :EDIT:

:EDIT: Unrelated- Do wacked out bikers realy make games? I know a couple and I think they'd make sum very very um interisting games! But if only theyd take an interest! :EDIT:
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

The skydome bitmap comes form the net (I don't remember where I found it). pick my script and change the color and alpha of the dome. There is the 3dt in the level folder.

The level is the last QoD demo level that I retextured using HL2 textures, deleting the roof to have a fake outdoor level. I simply used the "full vis" option in the compile setting.

@wackedoutbiker
Yes, headshot causes instantly death.
A tip: you can fire the lamp in the central room. Read the Readme!! I've included.

I will start writing some PhysicsScript tutorial.
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

any other comments?
wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker »

I actually did fire at the lamps. Very cool. Still trying to find time for reading about the physics script, college is taking away from time I desperately need for game creation.

I'm having trouble rigging my player model to a HL2 skeleton. I mean, I have rigged about half of it, and every time I run an animation in MS3D it looks funny. Need a video to show you? Or does it ALWAYS do that?

(ct3.act doesn't import properly

@ psYco: I don't know what the hell I'm doing half the time, but hey, I'm trying. I could use a little dumbing down, but right now I'm more concerned with the player model (and adding new weapons to the script as well as new actions, but that will come eventually)

Yes, wacked out bikers DO make games. I am anyway.
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

I will post here the source model I used. My suggests about rigging in MS3d are these:
1) don't move or rotate any bones. Otherwise your skeleton is messed up forever.
2) Don't delete the previous rigged mesh. ?hide' his group and then look what vertex are assigned to every bones. Some bones shouldn't have vertex assigned.
3) If you have rigged your character following theese rules, then you don't have to be worried about nothing. The mot importer in milkshape needs a total identity between your model and the skeleton info contained in the mot files. AStudio doesn't need this strict identity. So your test will consist in a AStudio compile with the mot file or follow the method I described previously to exange the mesh in the ct3.act actor.
When you have a rigged character in milkshape with the ValveBiped skeleton compile it as an actor without animations. Next launch RFvfs.exe, "*.* select all files" in the file selector and then open your actor. Export the Body file at the root. Now, open the ct3.act file in the demo, delete the Body fie and "Add" the Body you have previously extracted. "Save as" with another name (choosing again "*.* select all files" in the file selector) using the .act extension. Now the new actor has the animations (naturally it works only if the skeletons match).
shadow

Post by shadow »

Well i tried your demo last night and must say its excellent.
I love ragdoll physics in games.
Very nicely done. Congrats.

Now about the boxes(crates) in the game.
Can you assign a weight value to objects?
After shooting the boxes they seemed to be too light and bounced around far to long, as if they were a ball instead.

Anyways keep up the great work.
wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker »

I know there's a way for people to just import all the animations at once from an .act file without having to decompile it and enter the name of each individual animation. Does anyone know how to do that?

It would help a hell of a lot.