New look 21st century, menu help. {Please help!}

Discuss any other topics here
psYco

New look 21st century, menu help. {Please help!}

Post by psYco »

Sorry moderators I have NO idea where this goes so please feel free to move it. At the moment im just aking if what im looking for is possible I want to make my new game with a ''new'' look, now its very hard to discribe so please try and follow these pics may help explain, you see I want something like this but in a RF game... [please note all the following pics are screens from games not animations! Except for person 2184 it is a mannschima (video made in a game engien!) so it is still rendered in a game engien (UT2004 I think)]

Okami
Killer 7
Person 2184

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas, I believe that games are art and also that indie devs should'nt try to be the best graphically since were WAY out gunned by the Commercial devs (cant wait to be one of them one day!) so why not like with our concepts try to be not the best but the most original and different when it comes to graphics! I hope this makes scense I just woke up with this idea in my head! :D
Last edited by psYco on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I definitly agree. "If you cannot move forwards, move sideways." If we can produce games with unique graphical styles that are appealing to the eye instead of photorealistic, we have a shot at producing games that look good AND run faster than the big games.

Great idea.
psYco

Post by psYco »

Thanks! :D
So what I was wondering if this is currently possible with RF? and also I have looked at irrilicts capabilitys, and it seems great for the poly count we all desperately need! :) But I havent see too much ability in effects and such, do you know if RF2 will be capable of the things Im talking about. :?:

And also I heard about a game demo in RF which had out lines around the characters, I had something similar in mind except it would be like those cool flash animations where the outlines are redrawn each frame, so it shakes and distorts :twisted: looking like an animated sketch! Is this kind of thing possible in RF and if so what do I need to do to achive this effect?

Thanks again! :D
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

definitly agree. "If you cannot move forwards, move sideways." If we can produce games with unique graphical styles that are appealing to the eye instead of photorealistic, we have a shot at producing games that look good AND run faster than the big games.
i think andy hit the nail on the head, we may not be able to do the photo-realism, of the Big-Boy engines, however don't let graphic's bog you down, it's about game play, and style,

take the katamari damacy series, i've never seen blockier graphics in a game as of late, however katamari is soo much fun,

here's a pic i've found

i've got a couple of idea that i'm gonna do intentionally low-res low poly count....think gaphic styles of quake 1. there's something about quake1's grittyness i love.

or cartoony style, i think RF i brilliant at producing this type of thing,
psYco

Post by psYco »

That sounds very interesting spyrewolf, and that game looks amazing I read a review on it a while ago and apparently its great!

:?:But I still appeal to any one who knows if any of the kinds of effects I have shown in the first post are possible in RF and how!:?:

I am also interessted in a style that changes from one to the other EG have one part of the game be cell shaded another be 2D, another be a mess of collor effects and such and perhaps have part be in an old film style, you know with that film grain effect you sumtimes see, mabey these parts whould have no sound effects... :)

Also if any one knows where this RF demo is Ive heard about where everything is cell shaded and has outlines that would be interesting to see what different styles have alreadey been done in RF.

:EDIT: hey how about every one with any ideas on new styles of graphics or gameplay post them here that way we can all think up new weird and wonderfull game styles, games are art and the artistists have their best ideas bounceing stuff off other people! :EDIT:
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

the style your after is called cell shading....

unfortunately you cant acheive this "truely with out shaders"

however, awhile ago pickles and i worked on a game together call Operation Spyrewolf, the effect can have the "comic book shading appearance"

this had a psuedo cell shading this effect can be acheived by doubling the polycount on models

one is the base model what you want it to look like the next is the outline,

the outline is the same model again but slightly bigger and sits over top of the original model this the outline,

the outline model must be inverted, i.e inside out and colour black, or the colour of the ouline you want it to be. this works because back faces on models don't show up, (the inside bits) and you have a constant outline around the model that you have created.

this is just a quick over view i can create a better tute if you still don't quite understand.
psYco

Post by psYco »

nope thats great! It sounds simple enough I know ppl have done sumink similar to make a shiny effect! But im a bit reluctant to double all my poly count! although my models for the game im thinking about were going to be pretty basic any way! Oh you did not mention how you got this psudo cell shading effect... Oh and in line with the out linething im thinking to get my sketched outline look I can scribble on the texture for the outline mesh but then the spaces will be white :( so is there a way to make the texture base color invisible and then scribble on that so then the outline will wiggle and change like a sketch just like i want! :D Oh Ive heard taht there is a color you can put on your textures modells that will be invisible in RF but im not sure if this is true...

Any way thanks for the help!
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I love the concept. Mixing so many art styles together would be awesome to play! I can't wait to see what you make!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
psYco

Post by psYco »

thanks for the support MoG! :D

I was gonna post this in a new topic but I figured that this is a kinda related to the look of the game! I know I shouldent be making the menu first! but I think it kinda sets the scene for the rest of the game so ill start wiht it I was wondering if it is possibel to havce a menu that is like an old TV and with the snow thing going on you know when you tv has no signal you get the static, well I want that to be the menu and you see that and all the edges of an old tv and athe side pannel is like got all like these nobs on it and theyll be the buttons!

So my question is can I have an animated backround? And if soo how? I realy hate menus and I suck at them so a lil help would be great! :D

this is what I hope it looks sumink like!

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I think this is what your after:
RF Online Help: Menu

Animations

Animations are animated GIFs that can be used in place of the normal static bitmaps for most menu items. Animations are stored in the media\video\menu directory. To add an animation to the menu, add a line in the form:

animation=animation# animationname

where animation# is a value from 0 to 70 and animationname is the name of the animated GIF. For example:

animation=0 main.gif

Edit: Nice menu idea btw.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
psYco

Post by psYco »

thanks! :D
Ill check out the online help! but first I must ask how do ppl make Gifs? Ive often thought about it but I just dont know! and I dont think ill find an 800x600 old tv w/ static.gif online so ill probably need to make my own but how?

Thanks again for all the help!
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Search for a program called Unfreez. it is the simplest GIF maker in the world.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
psYco

Post by psYco »

will do thanks!
scott

Post by scott »

i remember unfreez our college lecturer introduced it to me and my class m8's it is one hell of a simple programme and kicks paint shop animator studio, its so easy to use, i mad my entire website out of scenes and this programme even though most pages were 5mb each and most was pointless, so converted the gif's to a video for file size reasons, cut them down to 0.5mb each page.
*GD*
psYco

Post by psYco »

YAY! I fixed the bug with my PC that would not let me run games (it wasthe drivers after all!)

But now ive managed to get the background to be the GIF image, but the screen flickers black alot and quite fast! I dont know why, also the GIF is there but not animated! (if you want to see the gif look in ''teh_psYco's game thread'' thread here in general disscussions!

Ive had the flickering problem ever since I got this version of RF!

Please help!