New screens and a question

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Tabulanis

New screens and a question

Post by Tabulanis »

OK. I have finally gotten alittle time what with the film and all to work on Folsom and get some stuff brewing using the new update. (Awsome)

I ran into trouble though.

These shots are of the downstairs area. (Evil basment style)
The whole things is 1900 polys and runs really fast. BUT!

Now to make this thing faster I read that only using texture 256 size is better. So these models are matrixed out and made of textures that are all 256*256

Now at first it ran horrid and I messed with the video config tool (Awsome too) Any way I checked advanced and hit compress textures. Now it runs at 80 fps wich rocks but when any set of textures is seen for the first time (Turning you head or view to look around,) it is slow as hell. Then after you have seen everything once it runs at the afore mentioned 80 fps. Any fix for this? I would prefer if it loaded this stuff before the game starts and then just runs well to (I think its loading or compressing or something wile I look around as needed) Doing what I just said in (). Any body know?

P.S. I was going to go to beyond vitual but I cant handle the workflow of everything being in text files. Drives me nuts. I much prefer RF.
Last edited by Tabulanis on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GD1

Post by GD1 »

I can't really answer your question, but those shots are amazing! any chance you could give us a tutorial on modelling & texturing a scene like that in a 3D modeller. I have the hardest time making good looking cave scenes.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

Man i love you work tabulanis!
it is slow as hell. Then after you have seen everything once it runs at the afore mentioned 80 fps. Any fix for this?
i have a feeling this the compressed textures being loaded into memory, i notice this happens in big name games as well, my friend just brought fear and hea commented on the same thing with me today, maybe un check compressed textures and see what happens...

[edit] i just read you need compressed textures, i dunno but have you tried turning on DoNotWait = 1....im not sure what this does, this may fix the problem also if you have a Newer Nvidia card it may screw up your menu system as well, it's bit'uv a double edged sword i gather...[/edit]

...really nice work i can't beleive you got that to look soo sweet in 1900 polys :o very nice work .....do you bake all you lighting and normals>speculars? 'Cos the bumps are out of this world!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Once again, stunning artwork! Tab, you're creating by far the best visuals in RF that I've ever seen!
Pain is only psychological.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Wow. Amazing!
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

OMG! Those shots are amazing! And look to the first screen's left side - it looks like real rocks :shock: If your game will look like this you'll get noticed by famous companies in no time :wink:
Lithuanians for Georgia!
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

Nice shots again, Tabulanis!

Let me understand: the shadows on the ground that (would) come from static mesh are pre-rendered on the texture using a program like gile, while virgil casts his stencil shadow on the mesh. Am I right?
In this case the blending between the two shadow types is wonderful and looks very natural.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

SIMPLY STUNNING!!!! GREAT WORK!!!!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Tabulanis

Post by Tabulanis »

Let me understand: the shadows on the ground that (would) come from static mesh are pre-rendered on the texture using a program like gile, while virgil casts his stencil shadow on the mesh. Am I right?
Yes, and I will be putting in 2or3 lights sto cast a soft shadow.

Well I'll try the "Compressed textures" button set to off

But I really like that 80 fps. I have much more to put into the level. Once I have it done I'll make it available as an RF demo.

Cant make any promis on the timing though.
Last edited by Tabulanis on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonas

Post by jonas »

:shock: WoW :shock: Yet another Spendid Level by Tabulanis! Keep up the good work!
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
shadow

Post by shadow »

Thats one sweet looking cave.
Great work as usual.
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

I see the rocks. And i see that the rocks rock. :D
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Hi Tab, As usual, most beautiful screens. Your work is exemplary. I saw you over on the BV boards and was bummed that you were switching engines. I have BV, but I don't like the text file approach either. I find it all to be most confusing. I prefer RF too!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
jonas

Post by jonas »

I downloaded the free deal and I couldn't stand the interface either.
I'm definatly staying with rf! :D
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
Arcangel

Re: New screens and a question

Post by Arcangel »

Umh I don't c anything. :?