time to move forum?

Discuss any other topics here
scott

time to move forum?

Post by scott »

ADDS!!!! at first i thought i had downloaded spyware or addware but hovering ober the add it gave a link to dhost.info

i dont want them, you dont want them, no one realy wants them, yea you find the ocasional good one but its annoying seeing all these things, mabe if u had it positiond half way down the page, but to have it in the corner is just stupid.

didnt we have another site up when this forum went down for those few weeks? i think we should move this forum to there, unles someone is in contact with dhost.info managers and suggest re working their adds to be less annoying.
*GD*
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

:shock: I just came back to the site and was as surprised as you. They didn't say anything about the adds. First all these downtimes and now that. That's it. Bye bye dhost. I just need a few weeks to work out the details for the new site. I hope we can move on around christmas.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Hmm. What am I missing? I don't see any ads.
hallsofvallhalla

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

these are simple phpbb boards, this is the only one i have seen with ads like these. I have three forums using phpbb and no ads like these. Must be new thing.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

it's not the boards that are causing the adds, but our hosting provider dhost.info

dhost news:
03.12.2006 forced ads
I don't get enough money for the servers from the ads on the mainpage
So I decided to force ads on the userpages, if you have any better idea tell me
Sorry, but I have to pay the bill, too ...
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

I don't get enough money for the servers from the ads on the mainpage
So I decided to force ads on the userpages, if you have any better idea tell me
Sorry, but I have to pay the bill, too ...
Ha, you've gotta be kidding me, thats bloody rude!
and if anything they're probally gonna loose money because of which.
hallsofvallhalla

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

but why not have phpbb host it for free? All mine are free and the only ads they have are the smalls ones at the top of the page.

http://www.getphpbb.com/

these forums you have now have very slow loading time.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Wow this sucks, the ads showed up overnight....

I thought my pc had spyware or adware, or that the site might have a virus or somthing at first.

I have to agree that this takes it too far. Slow loading pages(for me more often than not) and numerous downtimes for days, I agree a new web host is nessicary. I know dhost is free, but this just isn't right. The adds take over the site, there is no way around them!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Ah, now I see them I was on FireFox under GNU/Linux and they weren't showing there for some reason. Yeah, that stinks.
psychopath

Post by psychopath »

@quest: Does the e-mail address in your profile work? I sent an offer to host the RF forums and/or site on my PowWeb account, but never heard back. Just wondering if you got it or not. Sorry if this post sounds pushy or intrusive.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

Yup, that email address works and I got your message. Thanks for the offer but at the moment I'd rather not exchange one dependency for another. I'm looking for a host here in Austria which will give me some better control over the site and support whenever I need it.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

These adds scared me! I've just bought Vista and I still have no antivirus and I saw those adds and I thought it's a god damned virus. Maybe it wasn't so bad, I bought antivirus that day :)
Lithuanians for Georgia!
scott

Post by scott »

i think having adds will damage RF's reputation, the programme is free and then when you come on the site you see all these adds, hopefuly the change will make imporvments aswel, and if his original adds didnt make the money to cover the bills then whats he been doing the last 2 years at least (i think thats how long this site has been up for but not sure) i think he is trying to make profit for himself here mabe.
*GD*
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

scott wrote: i think he is trying to make profit for himself here mabe.
can't blame that :wink:
Lithuanians for Georgia!
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Uhhhh, anyone running internet explorer and visiting this site or any dhost site, SCAN FOR VIRUSES AND SPYWARE! Seems the ad banners must use IE exploits to install about 8 occurances of spyware and adware (noticed popups occuring even when you aren't browsing the web?) and 8 viruses, because I haven't had a virus for 6 years until this ad thing started, and I had just reformatted so I did not have firefox installed yet.

NOTE: IF YOU USE FIREFOX YOU SHOULD BE FINE AND CAN SURF HERE WITHOUT ISSUES EXCEPT ANNOYING ADS!