out side

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
chec13

out side

Post by chec13 »

is it possible to make an outside setting for ur game without having to make a box 300 billion bye 300 billion square miles ?
and i read part of how to make 3d games but i dint understand wat it was telling me to do wen it started talking about how to make demos any 1 think they could help me out id really appreciate it ?
obi 1 has talk u well but i still can figure this out
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

Yes it is possible. You can make the player smaller, which doesn't make the world larger. BUT it seems to be larger, and that's all what counts. In the PlayerSetup Entity you just type in say 0.1 for the player scale instead of the default 1.0. This makes the player shrink to 1/10 of his original size, so the world seems to be 10 times larger.

Keep in mind that you have to build everything smaller then. Also you have to size down the texture scale factors.

btw, welcome to the forums! :D
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
GD1

Post by GD1 »

no, both wrong. actually turning down the scale makes things harder to work with and can get buggy. I've said this over and over again, the only reason it seems faster is because your not turning down the lightmap scale to match. you can get the same speed increase by turning up the lightmap scale, and it only takes about 3 seconds and it's better practice.

in order to create an effective outdoor world, you need to think of the level as a room. you have the floor (dirt) the ceiling (sky) and the walls (cliffs, trees, hills, etc.). You need to learn effective ways to DESIGN the level, accounting specifically for each wall and each variation in the height of the floor and ceiling. A good outdoors level isn't a big open level, it's a well-planned series of small enclosed "rooms" with lots of little details.

Remember, RF can't handle outdoors levels like you see in Halo 2. RF CAN handle the outdoors areas of Half-Life 1.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

GD1 wrote:no, both wrong. actually turning down the scale makes things harder to work with and can get buggy. I've said this over and over again, the only reason it seems faster is because your not turning down the lightmap scale to match. you can get the same speed increase by turning up the lightmap scale, and it only takes about 3 seconds and it's better practice.
Huh? I didn't say anything of the sort...I just saidthat when you turn down the scale you can have a world seeming larger without having to build a world with 99.000x99.000 texels...
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
vegas WP

Post by vegas WP »

is it possible to make an outside setting for ur game without having to make a box 300 billion bye 300 billion square miles ?
If you did that, your level would be larger than Jupiter.

300 billion x 300 billion = 9 x ( 10^18 )

9 x ( 10^18 ) (square miles) = 2.3309893 × 10^19 square kilometers

Jupiter's surface area = 6.21796 x ( 10^10 )
#11. Thou Shalt Not Use Cut Brushes.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Cool. :D
Pain is only psychological.