How do you?

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
PsiBrrr

How do you?

Post by PsiBrrr »

How do you use LithUnWrap to convert .3ds to .ms3d then from milkshape to RF
The point of war is not to die for your country but to make the other nice guy die for his.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Why not skip that step and just import the 3DS into Milkshape directly?
PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr »

cause I was told to convert to .ms3d, but then after I'm done importing into milkshape, how do I get it to RF, and I've heard that other people have had troubles with textures, whats with that?

All I want is to have geometry for my level like hills with the proper textures attached
The point of war is not to die for your country but to make the other nice guy die for his.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Hills are done using Terrain, not a modelling program. You need Nem's Terrain Generator for that. For actors, export to 3DS, import into Milkshape, then export to Genesis BDY. Then use the Actor Studio tool to compile to an actor file.
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

try to export to .bdy, then import that back into milkshape, paradox....you'll be in for a surprise!
PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr »

paradoxnj wrote:Hills are done using Terrain, not a modelling program. You need Nem's Terrain Generator for that. For actors, export to 3DS, import into Milkshape, then export to Genesis BDY. Then use the Actor Studio tool to compile to an actor file.
I got 3ds max, I can make terrian in there, not some other program I have to learn from. Anyway, how would I do sky box that way
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

You are asking how to get stuff into RF and I'm telling you. If you don't want to accept the answer then you're in for a tough time learning the engine.

There is a world editor for RF. You must use that to create BSP files. 3DS Max cannot make levels for RF. It can only make actors. Terrain is part of a level. It's not an actor. If you don't know the difference between a level and an actor, then I suggest you download the documentation and start reading...
PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr »

All right then, I got nems terrian generator,how does it work, how do you create terrian, and how does that go into RF, I looked at the tuts, nothing there I need

(and I'm sorry that I wasn't listening, I just dislike downloading every program that evryone suggests to find out its outofdate)
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

RF itself is out of date. People add some new things to it from time to time to the game shell. The renderer still uses DX7. QuestofDreams is working on a DirectX 9 driver though.

As far as using Nem's Terrain Generator...Make a terrain, then export to .map format. Open RFEditPro, make a big box and import the map file into the box.
PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr »

k, I tried and all RF finds is .3DT and not the .MAP file

What about sky box's (after 1 question is answered XP)
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

model your terrain,make it a .act,put in level.bingo! :lol: if its a big terrain like in an rpg,then cut it in bits and inport one at a time.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr »

You can't export a .Act from Nems terrain gen. either
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

use 3ds max like u said before to makle terrain,then make it .act,put in rf.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr »

zany_001 wrote:use 3ds max like u said before to makle terrain,then make it .act,put in rf.
3ds also doesn't export to .Act, if so, I could have most of my terrain done :)
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

You need to build the .act files using astudio (which comes with RF). astudio accepts files exported from max in .nfo fomat. You can download the max plugins from hilke1's website. Failing that export as .3ds and import into milkshape then export as .bdy files which astudio reads. You can make terrains in milkshape (it does have a simple terrain generator built in) or using nems terrain generator but You need to convert from nems .dfx output to a .bdy file using milkshape. Which ever way you go you really NEED milkshape. max is too prohibitally expensive unless you are rolling in money. By the way RF does read .map files as well as .3dt (file - open - files of type .3dt .map .pnt)