Questions on using actors

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Jaguar_jwg

Questions on using actors

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

I'm sure I posted this on Saturday, but I am not seeing it anywhere.

I want to make an actor act as a light. Is this possible?
Also, I have my own model as the player, but it is not animating, although I created a walk and idle .mot file with the actor.
I tested it in ActView and it worked, but in RF when I press the key to walk, my character just slides forward. Is there something more I need to do in order for it to animate? I tried the Shelly actor and it animates, it's strange to me why mine doesn't. Can someone help please?
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

it's possible you placed a typo in your playersetup.ini check the spelling of the .mot i thin it may also be case sensitive
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

I thought it was that too, and I changed The the letters to match mine, but that made no difference. It did affect the virgil character though.
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

I am wondering - Could the problem perhaps be the amount of frames I used in MilkShape to do an animation? For the Idle animation I used 5, and for the Walk animation I used 20. What do you think?
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I don't think the amount of frames can do that. I've had animations with 1 and animations with +200 keyframes, so 5 and 20 shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, if ActView shows the animations, RF should be able to show them too. I bet there's something wrong with your .ini files. Just double check everything. :wink:
Pain is only psychological.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

It's more likely a typo when saving your MOT files from Milkshape. The animation name is case sensitive ie. walk and Walk are different. You must use the same name in actor compile and in your scripts otherwise the animation will not play. Try rebuilding your actor again from milkshape bearing in mind the above.
cheers,
Bernie.
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

Thank Bernie. I already tried that. I rebuilt the actor and capitalized the first letter of 'idle'. It didn't work.
Thank Justus. I am sure there is a problem somewhere. Where? I don't know. All I do though is add this to the character .ini:
[Zen]
image = virgil075A.bmp
actorname = char000.act
actorrotation = -180 -180 -180
actorscale = 1.4
animationspeed = 1
fillcolor = 255 255 255
ambientcolor = 255 255 255
ambientlightfromfloor = true
attributefile = player.ini
startlevel = rfdemov1.bsp

Then I change the actorname to different actors, including mine. All the other actors animate except mine. I can't figure it out.
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

Spyrewolf wrote: a typo in your playersetup.ini
there is a list of animations in your playersetup.ini, not character.ini, the playersetup.ini contain a list of anims specific to the player the anim names in there need to match the anims in your act.
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

Yes I know. I made sure I named the animation to match.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Did you load your actor into the ActorViewer to see if your animation is the issue?
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

Like I said at the outset, I tested it in ActView, and the animation was there, and it ran.
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

I think I found the problem. I had to export the animation with the animation name, for example "Idle.mot", in order for it to work. So my Idle animation is now working. I wanted to do the same with the Walk animation, with the hope that that will work too, but I ran into a problem. I can't get rid of the Idle animation from the keyframes. I hit 'delete keyframe' and 'remove all keyframes'. I restarted the program numerous times, and they are still there. Does anyone know how I can start with clean keyframes?
scott

Post by scott »

when you are on the actual keyframe itself go to animation and delete keyframe, that should do the trick, you know when your on the keyframe as the skeleton changes colour
*GD*
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

I did that but it didn't change. Anyhow, I got it working I had to use a model I saved previously with bones. It could be that I had mistakenly saved the other model with the animation. I now have an Idle and Walk animation. Thanks