welcome back steven8

Discuss any other topics here
scott

welcome back steven8

Post by scott »

well well well, look who showed up :D its been TOO long, a few post last night and the forums seem to be exited, home schooling sounds like a challange though hope its going well though.

i thought i would start a thread to welcome you back as everyone is exitied to see you again, its great to know you are still around and even better if you are able to stick around.

so welcome back!!!

u been working on any projects, wasnt it you who was making the menu editor for rf or was that someone else?
*GD*
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Yeah. Welcome (back) to the Forum Steven. Long time no see. Hope things are going well for you on the home front. Looks like you got a busy time Teaching your kids at home. Much harder than putting them through school I would have thought. My kids didn't want to know anything I or their mum tried to teach 'em and she was a teacher by profession :roll: . Now of course they're all grown up. My daughter is a teacher my eldest son an accountant and the youngest is a carpenter running his own business.
Anyway lets hope you're back to stay now.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Thanks guys. It feels real good to be posting again. Yep, things are busy and there are times when my kids actually seem to be absorbing the things we're teaching them. :D I love those little guys.

Yes Scott, I was the fella who was working on the menu creator. I am going to grab the source code again and see if I can dig back into it. I loved that project and was so sad the day I felt I had to give it up.

I haven't been working on anything else of late. I've been running Linux for the past so many months, and I just have windows in a virtual machine. I've got vb.net 2003 installed, so working on the menu creator will be no problem. I REALLY hope Juutis' demo will work okay on it, as I'm dying to see it!!! If it doesn't, I'll just have to go back to windows full bore!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

Hi, this is my first post to you, but Welcome Back Steven8.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Thank you, AgentArrow.

[edit]Took a look at your website AgentArrow. It's looking pretty good. I like the concepts behind you games. Cyber Guardian and Terra Trooper look to be the coolest! Best of luck, my friend!![/edit]
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Hey, glad to see you back steven8!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Thank you, MoG. How are your projects coming?
jonas

Post by jonas »

Welcome back :D wow sounds like you've been busy. I was home schooled a majority of k-5 I know how hard it was for my parents. lol
I can see switching to linux I just recently had to wipe my computer kill vista off, because of all kinds of crazy stuff. Like programs randomly freezing, or the whole desktop freezing, then internet disconnecting after 10 minutes or so of usage. I was really tempted to switch all the way to linux. But since I most of the graphics programs I have won't work that well through wine or something like that in linux. So I'm kinda stuck with windows for right now.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Jonas: You why not dual boot linux/win2k. No problems with activation etc with win2k and after all Xp is only a downgraded win2k. I recently dumped xp pro in favour of win2k on my dellxps and it runs much better now. Linux is definately the way to go but as you say many programs don't run even under wine so personally I think dual booting is the answer for the time being.
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

welcome back steven8, i almost thought you'd never show up again. Glad you're back. :)
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

@jonas, have you tryed using vmware, with XPpro, or 2k?

Welcome back steven8!! :D

homeschoolers rule.w0000t!
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

zany_001 wrote:@jonas, have you tryed using vmware, with XPpro, or 2k?

Welcome back steven8!! :D

homeschoolers rule.w0000t!
w0000t! is right! Here in Barberton, they are really cool about home schooling. My wife works up a curriculum over the summer, turns it in to the school board with an evaluation a licensed educator does of the boys portfolio of work, along with a form she fills out, and they send a notice that the boys are excused from attending. Most cool. Akron gives their home schoolers fits. They treat them like criminals or lesser citizens. It's a shame.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. It sure means a lot. I'll probably work on getting a dual boot set up tonight. I can't hardly play Juutis' demo. Using OpenGL it's a slide show. I really love the character models and the textures I've seen so far. It looks great!!

Believe it or not, though, I installed Genesis3D 1.1 from back in 2000, which came with the Game Programming Starter Kit 4.0, and it runs SWEET with the AMD 3D Now software emulation. Excellent framerates. I love the physics demo that came with it. The waving bridge and the swinging pendulum you have to shoot to get it moving. It's great!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

steven8 wrote:I'll probably work on getting a dual boot set up tonight. I can't hardly play Juutis' demo. Using OpenGL it's a slide show. I really love the character models and the textures I've seen so far. It looks great!!
Thanks! A friend of mine played my demo with Linux and it was a real pain. Some weird graphical glithces and all kinds of strange stuff. I hope you get your dual boot set up soon. BTW, almost all of the non-actor textures are taken from the photorealistic texture pack that you uploaded. So thanks for that too. :)
Pain is only psychological.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Juutis wrote:
steven8 wrote:I'll probably work on getting a dual boot set up tonight. I can't hardly play Juutis' demo. Using OpenGL it's a slide show. I really love the character models and the textures I've seen so far. It looks great!!
Thanks! A friend of mine played my demo with Linux and it was a real pain. Some weird graphical glithces and all kinds of strange stuff. I hope you get your dual boot set up soon. BTW, almost all of the non-actor textures are taken from the photorealistic texture pack that you uploaded. So thanks for that too. :)
So that's why they looked so familiar. :lol: I see the file is not up for download anymore. It was really big. I didn't get my dual boot set up. To do it clean and easy, you need to install windows first, and then Linux. Windows doesn't play well with other OS's, like Linux does. It wants to be the ONLY guy on the block!

Did you make your own character models? They look really good! I can't wait to play for real!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

steven8 wrote:Did you make your own character models? They look really good! I can't wait to play for real!
Thanks! Yeah, all the weapon and character models are made, textured and animated by me.
Anyway, I've improved a lot since I made those models. Check the first post of my game topic to see my recent works.
Pain is only psychological.