Need some helpful suggestions for an audio problem

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
RobRoy

Need some helpful suggestions for an audio problem

Post by RobRoy »

I've been trying to to get mp3 and ogg files working in an AudioSouce3D, but can't get any sound, a wav file will work though, my ogg and mp3 files are correctly named and are in the audio folder, in the log I get this ...........

*WARNING* File .\SPool.cpp - Line 89: Unable to load file, invalid path or filename: m2.ogg
*WARNING* File .\SPool.cpp - Line 89: Unable to load file, invalid path or filename: m2.ogg
*WARNING* File .\C3DAudioSource.cpp - Line 116: Failed to open audio file 'm2.ogg'

In the AudioSouce entity I named the szSoundFile file m2.ogg, Do mp3 and ogg files go in any other folder apart from audio ? Do you have to configure RF to use these files ? I've made the files in Audacity and tried different bitrates, I've also tried on other computers too, I've tried re-installing RF in different drives C, E, F etc. Can everyone else get these files to work ?...............would appreciate any help, I've run out of things to try.
bradford789

Post by bradford789 »

change the name of the file dont use numbers or anyother type of sign just use letters that should work

if not let me know
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I hate to say this, but I do not believe RF supports ogg or mp3. I have been gone awhile, but I believe it only supports wav files. Check the manual, just to make sure.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

Reply to Steven8..................thanks for your reply, site administrator posted this to my same inquiry which I had in the general discussions...........mp3 should work fine but you may consider using ogg instead.

Reply to bradford789............thanks for you reply too, I've tried using different file names, just letters and no numbers, and even tried different file extentions, MP3, mp3. oggvorbis, etc. Are you able to get a mp3 or ogg file to work in RF.

Anybody................Have you been able to get a mp3 or ogg file to work in RF, if so can you outline the way to do it.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

The .ogg format works straight out of box exactly like .wav format. Place your .ogg file in the audio folder in RF.
Beware of mp3 the FORMAT is COPYRIGHT and you require a licence if you distribute more than 5000 copies of your game. See here for details: http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

Thanks Bernie, but it just won't work for me, wav files work with no problem but I just can't get ogg or mp3 files to work. :cry:
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

You may be short of the .ogg playback codec on you computer. Go here for free codec download for your system: http://www.vorbis.com/setup/
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

I added the codec to media player for ogg files, I can play the ogg and mp3 files that are in the RF audio folder ok, but they won't play in a level
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Wow. I have been gone for awhile. I didn't know RF handled ogg and mp3. Very cool. Now we have to find out why they won't handle your files.

What is your scenario? How are you trying to get it to play? is it attached to a model? Is it an explosion, or a footstep? I notice in my default Rf install, there are separate folders for explode, footstep, impact, menu, weapon.
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

I think you need to have the ogg.dll in the same folder as RF
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

Reply to Ardentcrest..............I have the ogg.dll file in RF folder as standard.

Reply to steven8.................I have tried various scenarios, to make sure nothing else is affecting things I've now just made a hollow box with environment setup, player start, player setup and audiosouce3d. Can you do the same with a mp3 or ogg file and will it play on your comp?
steven8

Post by steven8 »

RobRoy wrote:Reply to Ardentcrest..............I have the ogg.dll file in RF folder as standard.

Reply to steven8.................I have tried various scenarios, to make sure nothing else is affecting things I've now just made a hollow box with environment setup, player start, player setup and audiosouce3d. Can you do the same with a mp3 or ogg file and will it play on your comp?
I am at work right now. I work 3rd shift and sleep during the day during the week. I will try in the morning to see how it works for me and let you know!
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

You also need the vorbis.dll and vorbisfile.dll in the RF folder but I think that is standard too. Check that you have these lines in the RealityFactory.ini file.

AudioDirectory=media\audio
AudioStreamDirectory=media\audio

and yes ogg files work perfectly for me. I can't say for mp3 I refuse to use that format for the reasons given before.
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

Reply to Bernie...............Have both vorbis.dll and vorbisfile.dll files in RF folder, can you send me a small ogg file that you have tried and that works in your RF ................ robsplace5@optusnet.com.au
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

Heh Bernie........ Just had a thought, I usually use RFEditPro and am wondering if the files can be played in the other editors but not this one.