Anger: This forums flu?

Discuss any other topics here
MakerOfGames

Anger: This forums flu?

Post by MakerOfGames »

Hey everyone I am just posting to hopefully resolve this issue our community , which is an increase of anger and animosity towards others :shock: .

So what exactly is going on here?! In my three and a half years of being a part of this community I haven't seen more flaming of people over three years than what I have seen in the past week! It seems to be like an epidemic! I would like to know why everyone has such harsh criticism of everyone else. Please, have a little more respect for each other. I have seen one person say one smart comment only to be followed by many others joining in. Moderators and I have tried to ease tensions but it seems our comments have gone ignored: the flaming just continues after our posts. So, please let's end this fragmentation and angst. Let's all be friends again :D !
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Perhaps it's because Fall is here and school is back in session. All three of my boys are more cantakerous than usual. They don't like being couped up inside and having to study every day when they have been out playing every morning all summer.

That gives us old dogs no excuse whatsoever, but I know my sons snappiness has made me a little more edgy of late.

It is a phase, and in the end we will all recall that we all play on the same team. Maybe we have different squads, so to speak, but we are all striving for the same outcome.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Every time Pickles come that happens
Lithuanians for Georgia!
steven8

Post by steven8 »

LtForce wrote:Every time Pickles come that happens
While I can't disagree with that, let's leave individuals out of it, and concentrate on being a team!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Now it is that kind of talk there that seems to be the havok reaper, naming people and attacking even subtly seems to bring all the trouble. I hope this clears up soon! It's strange though how so many have the same edge though...

[edit] ..and its not just certain people that are causing this. A new member who was having trouble was flamed for no reason. People jumped to conclusions. That's not the way this forum has conducted itself in the past.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Morgan Ramsay

Re: Anger: This forums flu?

Post by Morgan Ramsay »

MakerOfGames wrote:In my three and a half years of being a part of this community I haven't seen more flaming of people over three years than what I have seen in the past week!
I haven't been a member of this community for long, and I wouldn't consider myself a member yet, but perhaps the 20+ fires in California are related? More than 1,000,000 people have been displaced. More than 500,000 acres have burned. More than 2,000 residential and commercial properties and more than 350 automobiles have been destroyed. More than 12,000 firefighters are deployed. US$53.8 million has been spent on local, county, state, and federal firefighting efforts, not counting sponsored disaster relief from volunteers and nonprofit organizations. In addition, more than $1 billion in damages from at least one fire is expected. I've been on high alert since last weekend given my close proximity to the largest fire.
Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx »

Well, I've just become a more active member than when I registered. Not yet a full member either but my experiences with this forum community is great! All mature, friendly and helpfull people. That's what I use to convince my friends to join me here.

I've been involved in many communities, mostly game oriented, with the avarege attitudes of bored little adolescences. I have never been in a surrounding like these. It's like a whole new world for me and I already feel 'at home'. Gonna stick around for a while, if that's okay with you guys! :wink:
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I haven't seen any anger except when Dan comes around or when someone insults RF.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

AndyCR wrote:I haven't seen any anger except when Dan comes around or when someone insults RF.
If Dan is Pickles, and I think he is, I agree with you. And about insulting RF. Usually peaople come here talking about how cool developers they are and how RF sucks(happened just few times), but have nothing to show
Lithuanians for Georgia!
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

I'm usually a pretty calm and helpful person. There were a couple of times where I just was flat out pissed from a long day of work and I apologize for that. I could stay away during those times, but I may miss something that I can actually help on.

I usually give one or two chances before I get mad, but Dan just flat out pissed me off. Steven, I understand that you don't want to be focused on one person, but in this case, that one person caused the anger. I personally would have banned him if this were the Jet3D or Genesis 3D forum. Not just because of this time, but because every time he comes and someone critiques his stuff negatively, he starts insulting people. My philosophy is, if you can't take negative criticism then you'll never make yourself better. You can't please everyone, but you can damn sure try.
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

Morgan Ramsay wrote:
I haven't been a member of this community for long, and I wouldn't consider myself a member yet, but perhaps the 20+ fires in California are related? More than 1,000,000 people have been displaced. More than 500,000 acres have burned. More than 2,000 residential and commercial properties and more than 350 automobiles have been destroyed. More than 12,000 firefighters are deployed. US$53.8 million has been spent on local, county, state, and federal firefighting efforts, not counting sponsored disaster relief from volunteers and nonprofit organizations. In addition, more than $1 billion in damages from at least one fire is expected. I've been on high alert since last weekend given my close proximity to the largest fire.
... poor darkmaster, now I feel bad for getting mad at him once
... And poor you.
... and the poor animals at the san diego zoo
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

Agentarrow wrote:
Morgan Ramsay wrote:
... poor darkmaster, now I feel bad for getting mad at him once
... And poor you.
... and the poor animals at the san diego zoo
why?? i didnt get displaced by the fires. i just get really high winds and breathe smoke every time i go out.
Herp derp.
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

yeah, but still...
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Well I'm happy with the outcome of this thread so far. I was concerned from the two threads that have had some very present harsh feelings. I was most concerned with the way the community confronted the new member DeltaCommando5. With his first post a flaming contest broke out. That is not how we have handled things before. I remember when new people joined people "flamed" with post like:

"WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!! :D :D :D :P :P :P "

Here this person has come in and was hit head on with insults. If I was that member I would be very hesitant to come back here. I still don't understand where that thread went wrong. Also, let's be big kids and not let others talk stir us up so much we let anger rule our senses. That means if pickles or any other member comes on here and starts talking of something better than RF or how RF is terrible, lets not jump down their throat. Yelling at people has a history of not changing minds but only ruining relationships. That is why I started this thread. I hope this post clarifies the reasons why I felt the need to create it.

*side note: I am terribly sorry for those affected by the fires in California. Its terrible to see such disasters occur.
Think outside the box.
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

MakerOfGames wrote:Well I'm happy with the outcome of this thread so far. I was concerned from the two threads that have had some very present harsh feelings. I was most concerned with the way the community confronted the new member DeltaCommando5. With his first post a flaming contest broke out. That is not how we have handled things before. I remember when new people joined people "flamed" with post like:

"WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!! :D :D :D :P :P :P "

Here this person has come in and was hit head on with insults. If I was that member I would be very hesitant to come back here. I still don't understand where that thread went wrong. Also, let's be big kids and not let others talk stir us up so much we let anger rule our senses. That means if pickles or any other member comes on here and starts talking of something better than RF or how RF is terrible, lets not jump down their throat. Yelling at people has a history of not changing minds but only ruining relationships. That is why I started this thread. I hope this post clarifies the reasons why I felt the need to create it.

*side note: I am terribly sorry for those affected by the fires in California. Its terrible to see such disasters occur.
ardencrest told me off for flaming like that.
Herp derp.