A pro told me, But it aint so IT AINT SO! is it?

Discuss any other topics here
Agentarrow

A pro told me, But it aint so IT AINT SO! is it?

Post by Agentarrow »

Well, I was talking to a professional game designer and he told me that shell engines are illegal to create games that you will sell. He created a game with a professional shell engine and his game was torn from the shelves and the company of the shell engine sued him for all his profits!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: You at RF wouldn't do such a thing would you???
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Legality of anything from a shell based game engine to a 3D rendering engine are all based upon the terms of the End User License Agreement(EULA, you know the things people never read...:roll:) This goes with any software. Of course, if there is a clause in the EULA that states the license may be subject to change at anytime, then you would have to worry. If that is the case they could just up and change the license to have all the users pay any kind of fee they want along with anything else they wish.

In short, EULA's define legality.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

You're free to read the license for RF to see that it doesn't do such a thing.
Destron

Re: A pro told me, But it aint so IT AINT SO! is it?

Post by Destron »

Agentarrow wrote:Well, I was talking to a professional game designer and he told me that shell engines are illegal to create games that you will sell. He created a game with a professional shell engine and his game was torn from the shelves and the company of the shell engine sued him for all his profits!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: You at RF wouldn't do such a thing would you???
Sorry if I'm stepping out of the rules of the forum by saying this, but...

WHO'S THE @$$HAT THAT TOLD YOU THAT?!
Obviously, he's probably not a very experienced developer if he didn't bother reading the EULA when he used the engine.
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

Since RF belongs to no-one, thus everyone, there is no way we are going to do that kind of stuff.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Yes, it's all in the EULA. If the shell he used had stipulations on private or commercial use, that could happen. With RF, it is free to use as you wish. You just have to show the Genesis3D splash screen. And that's no biggie.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

well, wait, thats just the animation that says Genesis3D and has the spinning gears right? Because I have to do one for my team (duh) the publisher once I find one, and Milkshape so far. Since the entire RF community that is actually active helped me in some way, if anyone would like special recognition in the credits just tell me.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...