Recording game video

Discuss any other topics here
Juryiel

Recording game video

Post by Juryiel »

So I want to record a game video to show some features of the script I've been writing and I was wondering how. I know fraps will do it, but a 30 second video at 30 fps is like 200 mb. Is there some way to get smaller sized captures?
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

There are some that compress as they record, but they require a fast PC to run. I don't know one on Windows offhand, but Istanbul comes to mind as an example of what you want on Linux.
vrageprogrammer

Post by vrageprogrammer »

Use screen Recorder gold
It was not Possible to determine the dimensions of the image....
Destron

Post by Destron »

You can always compress the file.

Normally when I record the screen I use CamStudio:

http://camstudio.org/

it's a really nice recorder, simple, easy to use and it's free. Biggest thing I like about it: it just works.
Juryiel

Post by Juryiel »

Thanks guys, I found a nice program that does it :)
vrageprogrammer

Post by vrageprogrammer »

Which one?
Mine is hopeless, got any ideas?
It was not Possible to determine the dimensions of the image....
Destron

Post by Destron »

I'd recommend CamStudio... it's free. :D
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I got CamStudio yesterday and tried it out and it is a great program. However, I couldn't get a good framerate. I tried recording some footage of me playing Halo 2 but at 800x600(the lowest resolution available) I couldn't get more than 9-10 FPS. I just tried to get 20FPS at 640x480 and can only manage 15FPS. I have tried tweaking all the options but I am to the point where to increase FPS I will have to really degrade the quality of the video taken. Is there a way I can boost performance?

I have a Core 2 Duo @2.13 Ghz, 2GB of DDR2 ram and a Geforce 8600GT.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Can anyone help me?
*I don't mean to sound impatient, just in want of an answer.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Destron

Post by Destron »

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Thanks!
I tried to install the Camstudio lossless codec and camstudio doesn't recognize it. I even reinstalled Camstudio.
Any suggestions?

*Edit: I used the DivX codec and got a perfect 20FPS record time / current frame. Actual input rate is still 10FPS but the video seems to be smooth enough.
Think outside the box.
Juryiel

Post by Juryiel »

The program I use also drops me to about 20 fps so I can't help you with an improvement there.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I guess this will do. It works pretty well, but I want to make sure I can get smooth video whenever I get to the part of game development where I can record some good in game footage.

Thanks for the help guys!
Think outside the box.
Juryiel

Post by Juryiel »

You can record with fraps without any in game FPS loss (for 30 seconds on the free version, or as much as you want if you pay) but then you'll have to use another program to compress the video, which will be gigantic
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I knew about fraps, but I like free software so CamStudio will have to do. It isn't too bad either. Thanks though.
Think outside the box.