Nems Terrain Generator question.

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
CowboyUp

Nems Terrain Generator question.

Post by CowboyUp »

How do I apply RF textures to terrain in Nems generator? I cant find any of the textures, but I know they are in there.

Or do I even need RF textures? Since it would go in as static mesh wouldn't I just have to download some textures and apply them?
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

Check my site for 'static mesh terrain' examples.
http://terrymorgan.net/download.htm
gekido

.wad files

Post by gekido »

Nem's assumes that you are using a quake type engine for level design. Quake/Half-Life/Doom3 etc use what is called a 'wad' file for storing their textures. Similar to the RF .txl texture libraries, the wad file contains all of the textures for a particular level.

You CAN texture in Nem's if you build a wad file that has the same textures as your txl library - there are a number of tools that have been created by the community to do this.

Basically you use the wad file in Nems' and texture your terrain, and then when you import the .map into the RF editor, link the level to your txl version of the texture library and it will be textured.

http://www.telefragged.com/wally/tutori ... files.html

The static meshes that terry is refering to are different - this technique would require that you make your terrain into an actor .act file via milkshape 3d or otherwise and then use the staticmesh entity to load it into your level.

For large terrains, the act technique will typically get you better framerates etc but involves a few extra steps.
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

The static meshes that terry is refering to are different

They're exactly like nem's terrain, but where nem's polys are
volume-based, these are surface based, check my site for
a tutorial, you 'import .map' from Nem's, then 'Export .3ds'
the same .map file, then a big procedure in 3ds max to
get a 2048x2048 texture on the static mesh, which you
can't do in Nem's. The original .map from Nems is also
in the .bsp, occupying the same space as the Static Mesh, the
Nem's terrain is used for collision, since the Static Mesh collision
bites on terrain objects, and texturing bites on the Nem's brushes.