Wikis Default (HTML)
30%
PDF
70%

Total votes: 10

Robin

RF book

Post by Robin »

On the docs session you can download the RF book but I am a beginner in RF and that book seems pretty old so maybe someone can update it, so noobs like me understand it better. Please! I really wanna learn how to make games.
Last edited by Robin on Sun May 21, 2006 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonas

Post by jonas »

I currently am working on updating but It's not an easy process even once I get some done. It will take a lot of debuging.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
Robin

Post by Robin »

Thanks. Keep on working.
Robin

Post by Robin »

jonas wrote:I currently am working on updating but It's not an easy process even once I get some done. It will take a lot of debuging.
How is it going? Finished soon? I wanna learn RF now without having to search the whole day for a button that according to the book should be on a place where it ain't.
Muzzer

Post by Muzzer »

Best bet is to read some tutorials and play around with the level editors.

Some old tuts I did a while ago...

http://geocities.com/bruise_pristine2003/tutorials.htm

Sorry about the Geocities site... never again
jonas

Post by jonas »

Yea because I haven't had time to work on that for a while. That book should help you on the design of a game, the new capabilities of rf I don't even know how to use them all yet. But I will work on it.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
jonas

Post by jonas »

What exactly do you want in this book? Do you want it to show you by example how to make a game with rf like pickles book or just show how to use each of the features?
Jonas

Robin

Post by Robin »

jonas wrote:What exactly do you want in this book? Do you want it to show you by example how to make a game with rf like pickles book or just show how to use each of the features?
Both would be nice, but the thing that I think is the most important is that you just update the book. You don't have to write about new feutures the important is that you make corrections. Lets say that I am going to do one thing according to that book and then I can't find it, though it stands clearly where it is in the book but it have been moved so you have to go search for it yourself.
jonas

Post by jonas »

I'm not sure I understand what your saying in this sentence.
Lets say that I am going to do one thing according to that book and then I can't find it, though it stands clearly where it is in the book but it have been moved so you have to go search for it yourself.
It would almost be easier to start over with the realityfactory book than to rewrite it. Onless I was to use the same game for the example and that was pickles game.

@everyone: Any Ideas for a real simple game I could make that would show all the feature's? Something different than the current rf demo.
Jonas

Robin

Post by Robin »

jonas wrote:I'm not sure I understand what your saying in this sentence.
Lets say that I am going to do one thing according to that book and then I can't find it, though it stands clearly where it is in the book but it have been moved so you have to go search for it yourself.
Ok, lets try again. I am a totally n00b and wanna use the book cause that's a tutorial on how to make a complete game. But it seems that the book isn't very new so RF have been updated and some buttons have been moved. And for a total noob it's pretty hard to know where to search. So maybe you could update the book so it say the right place to look at for the buttons.
Robin

Post by Robin »

jonas wrote:I'm not sure I understand what your saying in this sentence.
Ok, lets try again. I am a totally n00b and wanna use the book cause that's a tutorial on how to make a complete game. But it seems that the book isn't very new so RF have been updated and some buttons have been moved. And for a total noob it's pretty hard to know where to search. So maybe you could update the book so it say the right place to look at for the buttons.[/quote]
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

maybe use a FPS (fav genre) for the book. though it has been done before i think its the simplest for a beginner to make.

though i understand what Robin is saying that the gui has changed so the book has some inconsistencies like drop down menus and the like.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
jonas

Post by jonas »

ah ok! I'll see what I can come up with!
Jonas

Robin

Post by Robin »

I just tried to find a wikibook but I couldn't find any. So why aren't there any? It would be great if there would be one. Cause everyone can add something to a wikibook so it would not be a one-man-job.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

A wikibook sounds like a great idea for RF. That would make it very easy for everyone to know how to do the advanced effects only the long time users, or fast learners, know how to do.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.