BV Demo Game - Merry Christmas from GDGi

Discuss any other topics here
gekido

BV Demo Game - Merry Christmas from GDGi

Post by gekido »

Just posted up the download links for the BV Demo Game - head on over to http://www.beyondvirtual.com and grab the installer!

The Demo includes both FPS and Driving game modes, which can be switched between without reloading the gameworld or restarting the game

You can get in & out of the vehicle, and everything is powered by a full physics system (ODE for the time being).

The Beyond Virtual forum is also online, please post your comments and feedback - this is both our first public 'test' of the new BV Indie codebase, so we're very interested to hear your comments.

Cheers
Mike W
GDGi
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

ehm... what's up? :x
6 frame for the race and 7 for the fps, is there any problem on my Pentium 4 GeForce Fx5500, or the standard framerate is this? I can't play anything in this way. What a pity! 'cause it looks good...
Attachments
bv_fps.jpg
bv_fps.jpg (10.15 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
bv_race.jpg
bv_race.jpg (10.45 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

runs unbearably slow on my laptop, too. probably about .9 frames per second.
gekido

hmmm

Post by gekido »

we didn't spend a whole lot of time optimizing the content - our machines in the office are somewhat...fast apparently.

runs at over 30 fps on my laptop, but I would hardly consider it to be an 'average' machine...

you might try tweaking some of the settings in the config.cfg file to see if you can get better performance out of the demo - try it in 16 bit instead of 32, etc...

I'll discuss with the rest of the team and see if we can't get an updated version of the demo posted.

We did opt for the 'high-end' of machines, performance-wise to demonstrate the complete opposite of what steer madness was designed for.

I'll post an update when i can after I get to edmonton - i'm sitting in the airport getting ready to fly home for xmas...
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

strange I got that framerate result with 800x 600 and 16bit depth... :roll:
gekido

Updated Demo online

Post by gekido »

Apologies for the slow framerate in the demo.

John took a look through and found a bug in the way ODE was processing the physics - we're not sure why we didn't notice this before, but either way, an updated demo is now online.

Where the demo was getting about 30 fps on my laptop, now it's getting over 160fps (up to around 400 fps depending on where i look), so it's a MAJOR increase in performance.

Very bad bug - we're very sorry about that for the few people that downloaded it already.

This sums up why we're doing this demo release - helps us find strange bugs that we might not notice (for whatever reason) until it gets 'out there' into the public eye ;}

Anyways, updated installers are posted online and if you checked it out before, it's VERY worthwhile to grab an updated copy of the demo - makes a whole world of difference, performance wise.

Sorry about that - hope everyone enjoys the demo.
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

Good news. I'll check it tonight!
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

i tried playing the updated demo on my pc and it works well though a little sluggish at times. also i only tried the fps game.
here are my specs though if someone tells me how to view the framerate i'll post that here as well

emachines t2792
2.70 ghz (really 2.69ghz)
768 mb ram
240gb hd
sound card is integrated
bfg geforce fx 5500 oc 256 mb pci slot type vid card

i would like to see some bots, maybe a zoom in feature for the rifle at least an ironsight, the muzzle flash shifts when you move the gun while shooting, when one of the barrels explodes the others should as well since they are stacked. but its good and you dont have to use my ideas they ar just what i would want in a fps game and my tastes are weird compared to others.

i just tried the racing part and its lags a lot.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
gekido

hmm

Post by gekido »

that's wierd - the people i've talked to so far get a major speed increase with the updated demo.

the demo is just that, a demo - it's not intended to demonstrate everything you'd ever want to do in an fps - that's the whole point of having everything script-driven

adding a zoom effect, etc is left as an 'exercise for the user'
animatrix

Post by animatrix »

I saw quite a speed increase but its still sluggish, I dont have a super machine but I run other games fairly well, its still an incredible accomplishment though,
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

the demo is just that, a demo - it's not intended to demonstrate everything you'd ever want to do in an fps - that's the whole point of having everything script-driven
i thought this demo was going to be the first game made with bv. otherwise yes it is fine for a demo but like i said i thought this was the demo for a soon to be made full game. my mistake.

i forgot to comment on the physics system. its quite good. also i like how you had a planet or moon hanging out in the sky. props to you sir and your team. mad props.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
gekido

just a demo, not a game

Post by gekido »

The sole purpose of this demo was to show off what is possible with BV in a very short period of time.

There are several commercial projects underway using BV, however this demo (and all content) was created specifically for the BV Indie release - all content will ship with the Tools for users to examine and check out how the demo was created.

We've learned quite a bit from our work with RF over the years, and a lack of demo content and examples (particularly commercial-quality content) has been a serious impedement in RF's success & popularity.

We will be releasinng a couple of additional demo's to sohw off additional game types, and they are basically intended to serve as 'starter kits' for people looking to create specific types of games - in this demo's case, driving & FPS type games.

There will also be RTS & 3rd person action game demonstrations as well, providing starting scripts for people to use to jump start their development of those types of games.

Going from the existing demo's to the 3rd person & RTS type games is going to involve literally just the updated scripts that those game types require - the content is literally the same, just reconfigured for the other game types.

Jumping from one game type to another doesn't require reloading of the game content at all - that's one of the beauities of BV - the fact that you can create completely different types of games without changing the content and/or executable at all - the menu call for each game type launches the world with a different main script which configures the game as required. Very flexibile.

Anyways, glad that it's working better now - I'll keep everyone posted regarding the full BV Indie release - we're going to do a private beta test over the next month or so to get some more specific feedback regarding the tools as well...
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I haven't finished the dl yet. Alan, Bronze Gargoyle, said he was getting like 96 - 100 fps with the updated release.

P.S. - I think it looks awesome, Mike!!
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

The updated demo runs faster and better... but mow much faster? in the screen there is nothing. none of effects, none of enemies or animated things. The physics isn't accurate (not your fault absolutely, but it has to be tuned in a better way) the terrain isn't good (bsp?), the spout attached to the car wheels is cut by the terrain, all runs in a slow real-time (a moon gravity effect). The framerate is slow, considering all this. It looks like an improved version of RF, better on all aspects, but where is the next-gen engine? The video of the other demos looks much better than this (the car for example has something to say about some "next-gen" stuff). This demo doesn't "demonstrate" anything. Torque has a similar demo for his Indie Dev Kit, but it looks better and it costs 50 dollar less.
I want to be constructive. If you have the good product that we, the RF community, know than you have to show something of this goodness or you'll never persuade an external developper to choose your product instead of Torque (that isn't a next-gen engine, it's only minus outdated than RF). Sorry for the honesty and egg your developper on to put together a demo that shows some next-gen stuff with a good framerate.
animatrix

Post by animatrix »

Sorry but I agree with federico, I just didnt have the words, I made somthing similar to this demo in 3D Rad, wich ran fairly fast. This is not an insult in anyway but just honest opinion, :(