RPG Games

Discuss any other topics here
Gran

RPG Games

Post by Gran »

I have a very stupid question, can i really make an RPG Game with Reality Factor. The reason for my question is that ive seen almost all the tutorial and they are all based on FPS games.
"Gran The One And Only"
Alek

Post by Alek »

I'm not sure, but I think you'll have to look into the scripting. Simkin allows for storing attributes for most of the game entities, so it should have functionality you're looking for.
Xenogaska

Post by Xenogaska »

Heck yeah you can! You have to get into scripting for all of your battle stuff but heck its worth it (because you can customize it any way you want) I suggest starting with something easier but within a few months you could be starting your own RPG.
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

i think most of the tuts are about fps games is because they are the most common and they help you learn the basics to make the harder stuff like rpg's. though maybe a basic rpg tut should be made like for setting up the isometric view and a party system and itme menu. just a thought.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

I have a couple of RPG type demos at
http://terrymorgan.net/download.htm

'asylumdemo.exe'

and http://terrymorgan.net/asylum.htm

asylum.rar, more of an FPS than the 1st one.
Nout

Post by Nout »

Many of the new features added to RF075 are intended for RPG
Some examples:

- Mouse support, including the ability to select a pawn or attribute and retrieve it's name
- Conversation with mouse support
- Full custom menu's with mouse
- Changing the properties of attributes
- Saving and loading attributes
- The ability to display text that walks together with the player / pawn
- The ability to detect a player / pawn leaves the world viewport
- Fading when changing a level + simultaneously setting a trigger
- The ability to put text and 2D graphics on top of the viewport (eg for pop-up menu, setting controls etc..)
- The save game + load game extended with an ability to show the last game scene
- The many features offered by scripting
And many things more

One disadvantage:
The save game an load game today do not work well. Instead you better use scripting to save a scene and the restore it

So yes, RPG is possible
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

A little off-topic question...
- Saving and loading attributes
Do you mean the script command SaveAttributes()? If so, how can the attributes be loaded from a .txt file?

Thanks in advance.
Pain is only psychological.
Nout

Post by Nout »

One disadvantage:
The save game an load game today do not work well. Instead you better use scripting to save a scene and the restore it
No this are not the scipt commands to save attributes; that works fine.
However saving a complete game, so all the internal game variables, pawn positions, rotations, all entitiy properties, ongoing animations etc... are not correctly saved and restored. Anything you want to retrieve after leaving the game you need to script yourself and store as attributes. The attributes you can rerad in again, and then by scripting you need to restore all specific game settings that are not hardcoded in ini files
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Yeah but if I save my attributes using the SaveAttributes() command, is it possible to load them from that .txt file later in the game?
Pain is only psychological.